Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 RX Project Update (56K Beware)

Looking good. Do you notice any difference (in terms of performance) between the spider manifold and the standard EA82T manifold? Did you use a spider manifold out of a turbo XT or a non-turbo XT?

Nice tires. I think 17s would look great. Just curious about what size tires did you put on the 18 inch rims?

Yeah, i noticed a difference between the spider and the normal. Spider feels better. I got mine from an NA xt. Had a couple problems because of that. Mainly, there was no tube coming from the thermostat to the turbo. So i had to tee my line to the turbo off a heater hose. Also, i had to transfer my injectors over.

I can't remember exactly what tires the rims came with. They are 40 series though...thinking 205/40/18's...

Originally posted by Dr. RX

I was talking about the manifold. When you (Myaxlphyx) said, "...on your EJ18 setup?", I thought you were talking about the intake. I couldn't figure where the reference to an EJ18 was coming from.

The reference to 'EJ18' was in ignorance. I've got a lot to learn about these cars. I'm so used to referring to engines as EJ22, EJ25, etc that I referred to his engine as EJ18.

Gotta remember the EA81, EA82's, EA81-T etc when talking about these engines. My apologies! :burnout:

What did you do with the AAV? You said the spider feels better, but in what sense? Is it faster, smoother, accels faster, etc. and by how much? Sorry to be bothering you with the questions, but I am trying to determine if it is worth going to the trouble to do the swap. There is a NA spider in a local junkyard and I am planning on resealing the engine in a month, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to look into it.

Also, are you using standard head gaskets?

Here are some more questions about things I know nothing about:

Also, why change the flywheel to the XT6 one? I am guessing that it is lighter, right? What effect does a lighter flywheel have again? Can I just shave the EA82T flywheel and get the same effect? How does the clutch and pressure plate from the XT6 compare with the standard ones. Do XT6 flywheels, clutches, and pressure plates, all interchange with one another?

Marck:

You can take the AAV and bolt it right up on the spyder and run wires for it, I believe.

It seems as if the XT6 stuff is better. Strong plate and clutch, that way you can cope with more power. A lighter flywheel allows for an engine to rev faster, it has less rotating mass to rotate, therefore more power to the wheels.

You can turn an EA82T FW down...but you can do the same with an XT6 one, and it will be lighter, yet just as strong.

Any 4wd/turbo car clutch set will interchange with another 4wd/turbo car. I can use an XT6 package on a 2wd XT turbo. Or on a GL 5spd D/R. They have the larger spline on the trans, and the clutch discs are the bigger 8 inch versions. 2wd non turbo have the smaller discs and splines. (that I know of)

The Spyder intakes flow ALOT better for turbos. If you look at any EJ engine, you will see a similar design. During the time of the spyders, the EJ engines were in development, and if you look at any EJ engine, you will see an intake of somehwat similar design...but even more efficient than the EA82 Spyders. The Spyders also came on Turbo XTs, but are RARE. I've got two from a Non-Turbo, and I know where one is that is still bolted to a known good Turbo motor. I plan on getting the WHOLE motor, and dropping it in the RX.

Alright, I was reading another thread that Tex started:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3482&highlight=XT6+flywheel+weight

and according to skip I can take up to 7.5 pounds off of the EA82T flywheel. Is this correct (please verify)?

So here is what I want to do:

I want to lighten the EA82T flywheel about 6 pounds and use an XT6 clutch and pressure plate. Is this ok? Is 6 pounds a good number? BTW, This is for my 87 turbo 3 door coupe with the fulltime 4wd tranny.

Sorry for taking over your thread.