Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CEL Light Randomly Comes On At Around 100 km/h. Any Suggestions?

Hi All

I've noticed that the CEL comes on at around 100 km/h randomly for a few seconds, but goes away when I decrease speed or sometimes just turns off whenever it feels like it. Does anyone know off hand, the possible cause of this? And/or how to remedy it?

I read somewhere it could be a corroded battery ground connection at the engine. I have a Hayne's car maunel, but stuffed if I could find the connection, in the manual or engine bay (bit of a car noob).

Thanks in advance. :D

Sorry this is not much of a reply for your question, but more of a CEL question similar to yours. My CEL light comes on every time when my temp gauge reaches the half-way mark to full operating temperature. It never comes on when cold, and goes off right away when fully warm, but stays on through the mid-range temperature....any ideas on the cause, I am completely lost on this one. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Brandon Bartolomucci

'95 Subaru Impreza L 1.8

Not sure how your car is equipped by certain Subies I drove in NZ used to have a warning that you were exceeding 100 KPH. this was some kind of JDM thing and I think it was phased out after a couple of years. On some cars the warning was adjustable. Not sure if this is your issue, did you get a manual with the car?

I don't have a OBD2 scanning tool or the original manual for my car. :-\

I doubt it's a exceed 100 km/h thing, as it doesn't always come up when I hit 100 (which I do fairly often :eek: ). It is a possibility though, so I won't rule it out just yet.

Is there anyway I can read the codes without the OBD2? I heard you can get the car to blink out codes via the CEL? I have a Hayne's manual, which gives me code listings/meanings, if that helps?

Thanks for the help so far. :D

Last I knew there were no Autozones in Kiwi and I sure never noticed one in New Plymouth.

I'll see if my Brother in law Jed knows anybody who would read it for you. they are friends with a guy who owns a bike place and I know he takes his Subies someplace for repair.

Legacy 777 has some code reading stuff on his site I understand and that might be in the stickies above.

Well no autozones here, theres only Repco and theyre ricer only as far as i can tell. I've had a good look around and cant find a OBDII reader tool thingy. Your best bet is just to take it into the local dealership and beg. :rolleyes:

KELTIK

Yes, try to read the codes before guessing anymore :-)

Sometimes the ECU won't store a code, but we'll cross that bridge...

Is there any relation to revs and speed, would CEL come on at the same revs in a higher/lower gear? Or is 100km/h the cause. Off hand it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Perhaps the fuel pump is giving up and the mixture is going lean.

obd2 is for 96+ cars. For 95 it might work, or might not work. For 91 it would be useless. If you have (as you say) Haynes manual - read section 6-2,6-3. They are quite clear on howto.

91??? I missed that. Well, this is a new generation forum. I assumed we are talking 96+. Sorry for my rant.

Sorry this is not much of a reply for your question, but more of a CEL question similar to yours. My CEL light comes on every time when my temp gauge reaches the half-way mark to full operating temperature. It never comes on when cold, and goes off right away when fully warm, but stays on through the mid-range temperature....any ideas on the cause, I am completely lost on this one. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Brandon Bartolomucci

'95 Subaru Impreza L 1.8

Sorry I also do not have a code reader, and probably will end up going and getting it tested from a store or something, but I also wanted to add, I did some "tests" on the car this weekend and when it got to the half way point and the CEL kicked on, I came to a stop to see what the car would do while not moving down the highway...results: RPMS bounced up and down and up and down, a variable between 500 and 1,000 RPMs, while this happened, and I believe the cause of this, the dual cooling fans were kicking on and off, then on and off again, when they would kick on, the CEL light came on, when they would go back off the CEL light kicked right off with them...and as usual, once the engine warmed up, no problem at all...the car also does not miss or run rough in the sense that it doesn't bog down or stall at all...I know this is not a code from a reader but I thought maybe someone could take a crack at a guess at what this odd situation might be. Thanks...

Regards,

Brandon Bartolomucci

'95 Subaru Impreza L 1.8

Sorry I also do not have a code reader, and probably will end up going and getting it tested from a store or something, but I also wanted to add, I did some "tests" on the car this weekend and when it got to the half way point and the CEL kicked on, I came to a stop to see what the car would do while not moving down the highway...results: RPMS bounced up and down and up and down, a variable between 500 and 1,000 RPMs, while this happened, and I believe the cause of this, the dual cooling fans were kicking on and off, then on and off again, when they would kick on, the CEL light came on, when they would go back off the CEL light kicked right off with them...and as usual, once the engine warmed up, no problem at all...the car also does not miss or run rough in the sense that it doesn't bog down or stall at all...I know this is not a code from a reader but I thought maybe someone could take a crack at a guess at what this odd situation might be. Thanks...

Regards,

Brandon Bartolomucci

'95 Subaru Impreza L 1.8

The cooling fans are triggered by the coolant temp sensor thru the ECM. Maybe this sensor is acting up at a specific temp range. Cheap fix. A little hard to get to but nothing out of the reach of a DIYer. Make a search on this forum and you will find lots of info on how to find, and replace it. No use to test it. It's cheap enough so that if you get it out it's better to put in a new one. On a 95 it's already up for replacement anyway.

Good luck!