Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How cold should I go with spark plugs?

Getting ready to change my plugs to try and cure the dreaded Subaru pinging, and was wondering how many steps colder I should go?

I don't know what is in there now, but just for arguements sake let's say they are BKR5E-11. Should I try BKR6E-11 or BKR7E-11?

Try one or two steps colder to try and cure pinging?

THANKS

What year and model car????

I really would highly recommend against going one step colder plug on a relatively stock engine.

Your gas mileage will be crap, the engine won't run as good, etc.

If you truly think your car is "pinging" run higher octane fuel. If that makes no difference, then I don't think you're hearing any pinging.

Can you describe what you are hearing/experiencing with some detail.

What Josh said. An over-heated plug can cause pinging, but a correct temp one won't. Should be a BKR6 IIRC.

If you towed a heavy trailer on the freeway at WOT or near WOT, that would elevate your plug temp and likely force you to step down a range.

If you supercharged or turbocharged your motor and raced with it, that would elevate your plug temp and force you to step down a heat range or two to compensate.

Going colder than the stock heat range, on a stock motor, being driven normally will likely result in fouling.

**** ******!

you know, come to think of it, i'm going to have this question. which plugs should i use in my 97 outback? it just hit 120k, which means servicing! which plugs should i use? any suggestions? what do you guys/gals have?

-yet another scooby nooby

Everybody advised me to go NGK when I did mine at 120,000. I have been very happy with the fact that it works fine. No need to reinvent the wheel and if you don't have problems stay with what works. After the price of the plugs for my BMW which are about a car payment I was thrilled to get good stuff for a tenner.