Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T XX=XX N/A subframe!!!

I'm installing my EA82T into the carbed poop wagon I bought from FirstGLWagon:

P1010067.JPG

So I'm having trouble lining up the motor mount bolts when I spy:

P1010071.JPG

Campared to:

P1010072.JPG

The turbo subframe clearly is clearenced for the turbo exhaust.

Anyone deal with this without swapping frames? BFH?

Thanks!

it might not be what you want to hear,but the easiest way is to change the crossmember out.....you could scollop the member then weld it up and spend more time doing that then it would take to change..not to mention it being as strong or not when you finish if scolloped....youll feel like crap messing around changing it.(after all your good work so far).but then you,ll feel a whole lot better when its done knowing your car is good to go ,,anywhere and safely...:) you can change it without removing the engine.....cheers

Can you use spacers on the motor mounts??

Very nice clear photos , by the way.

I can see you have done alot of work to it.

look forward to seeing it whaen you are finished .

Thanks David, I've done quite a bit of work on it. The body was TOO nice compared to my GL10 so its getting most of the goodies. Boy am I going to miss the sunroof though. There's still some bolts and things I need to get (no one stocks M12x1.25 longer than 100mm around here) as the AA 3AT kit doesn't have all the parts for the 5sp tranny mount.

I'm planning on spacing the motor mounts. This will do two things, clear the exhaust and reduce possible engine damage off roading. I've got some ideas on what to use and will mess around with it tomorrow.

well for starters, the rigdity of it with spacers will suck big time. You'll be more prone to snap motor mounts and bend the pitch stopper, Second, turbo's SUCK for offroad sicne they have no low end torque like NA engines do. Also, swap the crossmember, its really not the difficult and will save you headaches down the road. Trust me, half @$$ing ************ will lead to more trouble and more money then its worth.... just my $.02

plus it's bad for the transmission mounts and axles due to the odd angle. Minimal perhaps, but I can't tell how far off it is in the pic...

well for starters, the rigdity of it with spacers will suck big time. You'll be more prone to snap motor mounts and bend the pitch stopper, Second, turbo's SUCK for offroad sicne they have no low end torque like NA engines do. Also, swap the crossmember, its really not the difficult and will save you headaches down the road. Trust me, half @$$ing ************ will lead to more trouble and more money then its worth.... just my $.02

Are we getting into the turbos suck for offroading discussion again? I thought this was about motor mounts, but thanks.

there's different kinds of off roading and different objectives.

if engine/exhaust clearance is your only concern definitely swap the cross members, it's super easy to do. you don't have a turbo cross member do you? it's still in the RX isn't it?

• 4 months later...

Some things to thing about,,, puting blocks under the engine mounts would actualy return the engine to it's proper pitch, because the automatic tranny has smaller lift blocks than the standard,,, also,, it would move the engin back away from the radiator,,,, also ,, i designed the pitch-stoper , to be adjustable within 1" ,,,,, just some things to consider ;)

• 3 months later...