Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6 stud hub conversion - need help with drill bit size

Phizinza

Ok, so I am doing the 6 lug conversion. I only have (had, I just broke it) 13mm drill bit. I read that I need a 9/16th's bit, and somewhere else I read 14mm. Seems the 9/16th's bit is about 14.29mm i figure this is a big difference. So, tell me, what size do I need!??!

BTW, I have a drill press and all, I've got 13mm holes in one of the hubs and they are PERFECTLY aligned (good eye sight I guess). I was feeling good about it all, until I found out my local hardware store only sells upto 13mm bits.. Then I broke mine.. And even more has gone wrong today. So, before I continue to stuff everything up I'll just get you to conferm which size I need... Thanks!

I saw on a packet of wheel studs it said drill a hole 0.25mm smaller then the splines. The splines are 14.28mm wide. So I am guessing a 14mm drill bit should do good.

BTW, as I said before, I am drilling the hubs, not the wheels. So 13mm just isn't going to do it.