Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well it looks like in another month or so I will be the new owner of my mom's '96 Legacy L. (EJ22, auto.) It is going to need some new seals and I'm thinking ahead about what I need to buy. It looks like I will need a new oil pump seal, new valve cover gaskets, and maybe a few other seals and gaskets. I'm not positive about which ones yet because I have yet to run UV dye through it to find every oil leak. Most likely I won't need head gaskets though.

Anyway, my question it, especially concerning the rubber gaskets and seals and what not, should I look for specific brands of gasket, or is the quality about the same all around. Obviously head gaskets are a different story, and on a sidenote- in case I am in need, should i opt for genuine Subaru head gaskets?

Thanks.

Congrats on your new arrival. I cannot speak for head gaskets, other than to say-- no replace until they fail. Engine removal is usually required to perform an adequate job on head gaskets. Regarding oil leaks, you do not furnish the mileage on the car, but I suspect you do not have leaking valve cover gaskets. More likely are the camshaft oil seals (both the seal that touches the camshaft, and the one which seals between the front seal holder and the block), and I speak from experience on several EJ22 motors here. Also, check for an oil leak at the cover plate on the right rear cam hole. This is a metal cover on the EJ22 held on by two 10mm bolts, and it removes with your fingers IF you pull absolutely straight out. The O-ring gets replaced, and end of oil leak.

Thanks for the info. I'll add that the car has 107,000 miles on it, timing belt done at 80k. It's been leaking oil for sometime and the mechanic my mom uses most recently pointed to the valve cover gaskets and the oil pump seal. He also mentioned oil leaking to the exterior, from the head gaskets? I think that's what he wrote on the quote. I have experience after doing headgaskets and top end stuff on a few toyota engines and I really doubt the headgaskets are leaking oil. if one of them had failed I'd expect oil or coolant in the engine as well, and there are no indications of that. I don't suppose subarus have a tendency to fail outward rather than into the cylinders?:rolleyes: I don't know. Anyway, I wonder if the oil pan gasket is leaking too. The oil has been running from the sides of the engine down and collecting at the bottom and dripping from there. Again, I will just have to see when I run dye through it.

My original question still stands if anyone can give some pointers. Advice on everything else is surely welcomed too :) Thanks.