Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Deep snow driving and Subaru mechanics in Ottawa?...

hey:

i'm thinking of buying a '96 Legacy wagon AWD w/ 160K km on it, fully loaded and am wondering where would be a good place to take it to have everything checked out for me so I can get a better idea of the shape it is in..... anyone know of shops in Ottawa that know these cars good? any suggestions on what I should look for? :confused:

p.s. anyone drive these rigs in heavy snow much (I know you're out there...:grin: )?, i'll be using it to go skiing in BC when I move there this summer. i'm not worried about how'll they'll handle in the snow, but if it's sitting through a storm, how deep of snow will it "plow" through? just curious what the comments are on this one..........:lol:

AWD rules!

I've done plenty of deep snow driving in various subarus, and with some exceptions, lack of visibility due to snow coming over the top of the car becomes a problem before traction does. As long as you've got decent tires, no other car or truck compares to a Subaru for snow-going abilities.

depends what kind of snow it is. if it's light and fluffy you can get through a ton. if it's heavy and wet snow it'll pack underneath and strand you around 9 inches or so...depending on snow, conditions, road, vehicle, etc. i'd imagine up there you get lots more of the dry light snow so doubt you'd have any issues.