Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much should a clutch cost? (99 OBW)

I know, I know, it depends on a lot of things: location, other parts required, etc. But I'm just looking for general opinions. My '99 Outback is probably gonna need a clutch soon, so what number would not seem surprising to you if you were in my place? Anyone had this done recently? Any thoughts on private mechanics versus dealers versus transmission shops?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments -

I've been quoted from 500-1000. AFOF said a shop in IL qouted him 300...but I would say that would be the exception...as with most things automotive the parts are cheap but the labor is costly...certainly the case with a suby clutch which requires removal of the engine or transmission or both. gl and tell me what you end up paying...im in the same boat...152K and it has started to slip intermitently in fifth.

I know, I know, it depends on a lot of things: location, other parts required, etc. But I'm just looking for general opinions. My '99 Outback is probably gonna need a clutch soon, so what number would not seem surprising to you if you were in my place? Anyone had this done recently? Any thoughts on private mechanics versus dealers versus transmission shops?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments -

I was quoted $650 for clutch job on my 91 Legacy SS from Subaru dealer in Durango, CO. They said that they would remove the Trans.

Mike

$500 sounds about right. unless you know the person really well i wouldn't go to cheap..or unless you don't have the $. there are a few corners that can be cut here and you'd rather not. have the flywheel machined, pilot bearing, throw out bearing and clips replaced, and a complete clutch kit installed nut just a clutch disc. don't reuse anything, this motor will come out once, don't skimp and risk it needing to come out again if you plan on keeping it another 100,000 miles. someone may try to quote cheap and not replace all those parts.

be sure they replace the rear main seal while they're there and the separator gasket would be wise too. the rear main seal is about 10 dollars or less, but requires removal of engine/trans to get to , so it's a good idea to get a new one in there while it's all out.

i don't care who does it, but if i didn't do the work myself i'd be partial to someone who knows subaru's and i'd avoid the dealer like H5N1 chickens.