Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Guys,

I've had my '98 Legacy L manual wagon for almost a year now and I've just noticed in the last week a 'slight' hesitation on acceleration. It's not a big deal yet, but I would really like to kick this in the butt before it gets any worse. I've been reading some of the past forms on this issue and it looks like it could almost be anything!

What are the most common causes of hesitation? I'm assuming the car had a major tune up at the dealership before I bought it, and I have done regular oil changes.

The hesitation is pretty typical. When I try to accelerate for the first few minutes before the car has warmed up there is a lag between the time when I push on the accelerator and when the car actually accelerates.

I also just did an oil change on the weekend. I use synthetic, and there was a deal on at the local garage when I bought my oil. I got a free filter with it....and it was a Fram synthetic oil filter. (ok, don't flame me!!) Is there any possibility this might affect the engine performance? Sorry if this is a silly questuion, I'm not a mechanice :confused:

Urban Coyote

Hesitation can come from the strangest places. I would start by checking the following (easiest to harder)

Air Filter check and/or change (no tools)

Spark Plug wires - make they are in tight and connected (no tools)

Alternator belt tension (loose could be not providing enough charge 12mm spanner)

Fuel Filter replacement (3 Philips screws)

PCV valve (19mm spanner) check if clogged etc.

Clean throttle body (carb cleaner, Philips screws)

Fuel injector cleaner (pour and pray)

I'm sure this plenty more to check....others will chime in.

I'm assuming the car had a major tune up at the dealership before I bought it

Don't do that. That's your first mistake! I'd definately check and probably replace the air filter first. From there I would pull out the spark plugs and see what they look like to try to get a "read" of what the engine is burning like. While I had my plugs out I would do an ohms test on the spark plug wires.. I forget what range they are supposed to be in.. but you could probably find it by searching on here. If all that checks out or gets replaced and it's still doing it then I would move on to replacing the fuel filter and pcv valve. Good look. I'll put my money on plugs/wires or air filter though. -Eli-

Edit: How many miles are on it?

Edit: How many miles are on it?

Thanks guys! Will do.

My roo has 116,000km on it, when I bought it last May it had 76,000km.

I was thinking about the air filter as a good possibility as I live up a dirt road and have been driving through a large construction site the last few months on my way to work.

I've never taken out or checked spark plugs before. Is this a hard process?

Urban Coyote

It is a little cramped for working space in there. A proper deep socket and a 4" extension is a big help. And while you're in there just keep thinking to yourself..: "At least it's not an SVX, where there is 2 more cylinders cramed even farther back in there."