Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Upgraded brakes for '05 Legacy GT

My wife loves her Legacy GT but she is also spoiled a bit by my fairly heavily modded BMW 330Ci, especially the brakes (which are better).

She is already saying the Legacy's brakes have some fade and are not as certain as the BMW's. (I just smile...)

So, my question is, without dumping thousands on big-brake kits, is there a way to get bigger rotors? I assume this means it would need a new carrier for the calipers and new calipers as well?

I'm wondering if just switching to slotted rotors and some upgraded pads might be enough of a difference.

Opinions? Recommendations?

Thanks.

The rotors on the 05 LGT are HUGE compared most other subarus. Also, the braking system was redesigned for that car, and is pretty good.

My recommendation to you would be to replace the stock pads with something more "performance" oriented, put stainless steel braided brake lines on, and use some good brake fluid.

The rotors on the 05 LGT are HUGE compared most other subarus. Also, the braking system was redesigned for that car, and is pretty good.

My recommendation to you would be to replace the stock pads with something more "performance" oriented, put stainless steel braided brake lines on, and use some good brake fluid.

I agree, the rotors are already huge. You can't run anything smaller than a 17" rim on the car because of it. My biggest complaint is the initial bite and pedal pressure. They just plain old don't bite, and it seems to take a lot of pressure. I'm going to try different pads on mine sometime in the future. Considering that after about 6000 miles and only two trips to the car wash, my wheels look way to clean. I think the culprit is the pads.

Keith

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I will go with some new pads.

I will still be interested in looking at some rotors in the near future, even just some slotted ones if they are becoming available in aftermarket. Is there a popular site for Subaru aftermarket parts?

Thanks.

slotted rotors are not going to make the brakes feel any better

if anything, they will add to your woes.

the brake feel is generated mostly by the master cylinder.

better pads, lines will assist in a better brake feel

I recommend EBC Brake pads

http://www.subiegal.com/productreview/ebcredstuff/ebcbrakes_redstuff_review.htm

excellent bite, easy on the rotors....

good luck to ya.

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png