Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone explain to me why the good people at Subaru decided that 1997 would be the year that rear disc brakes would be nearly impossible to obtain, I say nearly impossible because I insist on being optimistic and request that anyone with info regarding an easy swap out share their wisdom with me

They planned it along to be against you..... they are following you this very minute :)

Seriously, soobies are giant lego sets, they dont change mush within the same generation. Look at a 98, they should fit.

nipper

i think the 'gooder' (yes gooder) legacies around then had discs... or perhaps earlier... my girlfriend has a 96 leg, and it has drums.. but it's not one of the 'gooder' ones :rolleyes:
Weird, my stock '91 Legacy wagon has stock disc brakes front and rear. My wife's '97 Impreza has front disc and rear drums. The tradeoff is that the handbrake was moved to the back which I like better.

90-94 legacy's: all had 4 wheel disc

95-99 legacy's: only the gooder ones have rear disc

Impreza (gen1) all had disc/drum UNLESS the car had ABS.

If you have an impreza with disc/drum and you want disc in the rear go to a PaP yard and get yourself a set. I just did this last week. Not too bad of a job if you have air tools... otherwise it isn't the funnest. :rolleyes: