Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My ignition switch is acting up in '96 Outback. Key slides in fine. Having trouble turning key. I find that I have to lift the key up and down before getting it to click out of lock into the Acc or Start position. I've tried spare keys and get the same result.

Something loose in the ignition? Can it be serviced? Or do I need to replace the whole thing.?

I owned a previous Legacy that had a different key for the ignition than the doors. The previous owner didn't say specifics other than that the ignition went bad and he had to replace it.

Try shooting it with some graphite powder.The key may be worn out too.Also if you or the previous owner liked having one of those key chains with alot of stuff on it,chances are it might have worn some of the pins out on the tumbler.Another option is see if your key is worn.I know you had said you used the spare key and it did the same thing so I don't think it is that.Good luck.

If its a worn key, do not have a key made from yours. Have the delaer make the key if possible (not sure if they can do it via the VIN), otherwise you will have the same problem.nipper

I once had a job cutting keys....

And you CAN make a new copy from a worn key. This is because the key copying machine measures from the BOTTOM of each 'notch'; and the bottom is easy to locate, since it doesn't get worn. What does wear on an old key, is the sharp tops of the 'notches', but this doesn't matter when making a new key.

Obviously, if you have a new key handy, then use that to make a copy.

I once had a job cutting keys....

And you CAN make a new copy from a worn key. This is because the key copying machine measures from the BOTTOM of each 'notch'; and the bottom is easy to locate, since it doesn't get worn. What does wear on an old key, is the sharp tops of the 'notches', but this doesn't matter when making a new key.

Obviously, if you have a new key handy, then use that to make a copy.

wasnt sure about that, as ive gotten bum keys made before.

nipper