Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear brakes, that is. He said he bled the brakes, but the brakes feel mushy to me, like there's more play in them, like they reach closer to the floorboard.

He's gone for a month and I'm wondering if there's something I need to do to firm them up or if I even need to do it (if they're fine the way they are). I've done brakes before, and though I'm no pro, I think I'm knowledgeable enough to get back in there and tweak something if it's relatively simple.

Thanks for your help guys!

BTW, it's a 96 outback wagon, 2.2 manual tranny

As long as it feels like he didn't leave out a pad or something it probably just needs another bleeding. If I remember correctly it should be bled from the furthest corner from the master cylinder and then 2nd furthest and so on.:banana:

it would be nice to know why the brake fluid lines were opened and needed bleeding? replacing the rotors and pads does not require bleeding, so i'm wondering what else was wrong that necessitated the opening of the lines?

i'd vote for bleeding them again as well. lots of tips on the board here for doing that.

i've had a few times when the brake pedal feels like it's going lower and then it firms up after a couple times of pushing it in. don't know why, i always assumed the pads needed to seat fully and the pistons needed to come out of the bore after being pushed in to receive the new pads. this would only be applicable if the pads were replaced after bleeding. have you driven it much?

if the pistons in the calipers were pressed back in without the brake master cyilnder cap being removed, this can damage the master cylinder. or you could just have master cylinder problems.

OK, I just have to say this. Does anyone else find the title of this thread to be incredibly scary?

Not really. Lots of people do their own brakes. Also, lots of morons get paid to do brakes! It ain't rocket surgery.