Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a few offroad vids

strat

haha yeah...i was just busting on ya bout the fart pipe...

i broke my exhaust already from offroading and at first it sounded kinda cool driving around like a ricer...but then as soon as i came into town i was embarrassed to the extreme....not to mention after the 2nd day the noise was soo annoying

nice wheel/tires

if the muffler came with the car then dont waste money putting something stock back on...but i'd try to loose it and buy something else with the money...

if the muffler came with the car then dont waste money putting something stock back on...but i'd try to loose it and buy something else with the money...

i'm actually gonna try to fab up some tube bumpers for the car and i had plans of running the exhaust out the side of the back (possibly between to tubes of the bumpers for added protection) it's not high on the list of stuff to do right now though.

for the record, open diffs own me...

Me too. :(

When the diffs start to spin, back down a bit where theres more grip, and give it hell! That's about all I can do. I plan on rear LSD in my Brat soo, but their like $400 a pot here is Aus. :(

i'm actually gonna try to fab up some tube bumpers for the car and i had plans of running the exhaust out the side of the back (possibly between to tubes of the bumpers for added protection) it's not high on the list of stuff to do right now though.

good stuff...i remember see'n someone run the exhaust right out of the hood like a smokestack haha

i was under the impression that the duty c switch just locks it in 50/50 which 1 does as well... am i wrong?

went out wheelin' today with my buddy in his yj. actually showed him up a bit. should have some vids and pics as soon as he gets them hosted.

car was SOOOO dirty. it was awesome. i realized though that i either need more lift or some rocker guards cuz i was close to high centering a few times.

If you're going to be offroading that thing, take into account that you WILL break things, i'm betting 1st you're going to crack that front plastic bumper thing, and maybe rip off your exhaust backing up like that :rolleyes:

That car is pretty low.. the 1st thing i'd do it secure a lift on it... either body or suspension.. i'd start w/ a suspension lift... easy & cheap(ish)

what else breaks... your gas tank can get smashed in.. so if you break crap, don't be suprised...

here's your link to the locking clutch pack: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50264

you'll want to have that.... i've walked right up stuff steaper & nastier than that plenty of times before w/ the good ol' 4wd switch, no problems at all.

And as stated above, momentum can be your friend, but it can also destroy your oilpan :-\

be careful with that car, it looks nice, alot nicer than my OBS was when i started romping on it :-p

it's already lifted on outback struts and springs with 215/65/16 tires... it has 10" of diff. clearance. it's not like i'm offroading a completely stock L wagon. ;)

the exhaust and bumpers are on the list to be changed. this car isn't my priority right now though.

as for breaking stuff... it only gives me a reason to upgrade... :brow:

i was under the impression that the duty c switch just locks it in 50/50 which 1 does as well... am i wrong?

went out wheelin' today with my buddy in his yj. actually showed him up a bit. should have some vids and pics as soon as he gets them hosted.

car was SOOOO dirty. it was awesome. i realized though that i either need more lift or some rocker guards cuz i was close to high centering a few times.

putting it in first starts the car in 50/50 but it can change.

turn in a parking lot in 1st gear and you turn fine.

turn in a parking lot with the 4x4 switch and you'll stop dead in your tracks.

in the first vid, the passenger front was in the air and the driver's rear got light on loose dirt.

wouldn't the wheel in the air spin then :confused: if you've got open diffs that is... odd.. :-\ i believe the only solution is more go juice... an more approch/departure angles :D

just noticed you have a CB on that subi, it's good to see other new gen roo's with large antennas hangin' off em :headbang:

wouldn't the wheel in the air spin then :confused: if you've got open diffs that is... odd.. :-\ i believe the only solution is more go juice... an more approch/departure angles :D

just noticed you have a CB on that subi, it's good to see other new gen roo's with large antennas hangin' off em :headbang:

the car was in 1st though so it should have been locked in 50/50. my understanding was that an open rear diff would let the power follow the path of least resistance (aka the wheel in the loose dirt) i was under the impression though that it wouldn't all go to one tire. in a 4x4 truck, you'd have one wheel front and one wheel back spinning. is the awd gonna work differently?

as for the CB, just got it installed this past weekend (the night before the trip actually) still need to work on getting my swr's down in the upper channels but it works ok 1-20 for now.

the car was in 1st though so it should have been locked in 50/50. my understanding was that an open rear diff would let the power follow the path of least resistance (aka the wheel in the loose dirt) i was under the impression though that it wouldn't all go to one tire. in a 4x4 truck, you'd have one wheel front and one wheel back spinning. is the awd gonna work differently?

as for the CB, just got it installed this past weekend (the night before the trip actually) still need to work on getting my swr's down in the upper channels but it works ok 1-20 for now.

I think what he was saying is that the tire that was in the air would have been the path of least resistance as compared to the tire in loose dirt??

I think what he was saying is that the tire that was in the air would have been the path of least resistance as compared to the tire in loose dirt??

You've got it buddy ;)

As for the 1st gear 50/50 split thing... i think it's crap. I've been stuck before... stuck pretty good, thrown it into 1st and only had the front spin for a few seconds before the rear kicks in... the TCU is sort of slow sometimes, you're better off installing a 4wd switch to beat your TCU to the punch line, 50/50 split. The AWD is also sort of periodic, i was heading up this hill one time... relitivly steep (ski hill) and i was in AWD mode.. and it'd go.. then sort of surge a little (rear end kicking in), then come off again (rear end going away) and sort of keep doing that, say.. mid-way up the hill i flicked the good ol' 4wd switch, and it just charged right up the hill, no surging or oscilations between front to back.

Another cool thing, with the switch you can romp it up onto 3 wheels and still have a wheel with power somewhere, subaru says that you're supposed to in AWD mode there... but it takes some time for the computer to sense that your front wheels & back wheels are moving at different speeds :-\

Oh well, good luck! ;)