Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am wonering if, in all of your combined years of experience, the members of this forum can provide advice on driving tips that will increase gas mileage, minimize wear, and prolong the life of our all important subarus.

Any advice, tips, leads, facts, or general knowledge would be greatly appreciated, and maybe even make me break some bad habits!

Years ago, my driving instructor told me that trainee ambulance drivers had to pass a special driving-test. One of the things that they had to do, was to drive the ambulance around, with a FULL glass of water standing in the vehicle, and NOT SPILL any water!

This would mean:

- SMOOTH acceleration;

- GENTLE braking;

- SLOW cornering.

You get the picture. If you drove that way, you would burn less gas, wear out brakes less, and be kind to your tires.

But you certainly wouldn't qualify as a taxi-driver...

First, I wanna say that I am not so good at most of the advice I'm gonna give you - I am trying to do better!

Be meticulous with tire pressure. Not only is it important to keep fuel mileage up (larger diameter ANd less rolling resistance) but , for soob owners, there's the added benefit of reducuing the chance of center differential damage.

Drive as if there were eggs on top of the brake and accelerator pedals that must not be broken.

Try to combine trips, reduce trips, eliminate multiple errands. carpooling will DRASTICALLY reduce your fuel costs - seems like no one does that much though.

Be mindful of fuel costs relative to your activities. No point in driving 25 miles to save $0.40 on a pound of hamburger. Or driving at all when the internet price equals the store price!

When shopping or for certain other errands - use the phone first. make sure the facility won't be closed or out-of-stock or something before you drive there.

Keep the windows rolled up. Modern cars will get better mileage windows up and A/C on than with A/C off and windows down - this is more true at highwat speeds though.

Save money in other areas to spend on gas. After tap water, tea is the cheapest thing you can drink. oil may be $70 a barrel - but vending machine Cokes are $450 a barrel! I don't even think I could do the math on a Starbucks latte!

don't worry - we'll see $55 a barrel oil before we see $105 a barrel. In terms of inflation adjusted dollars, gas is the same now as in 1981 and we survived. (but gasoline TAXES are higher than in '81... grrr!)

Carl

I am wonering if, in all of your combined years of experience, the members of this forum can provide advice on driving tips that will increase gas mileage, minimize wear, and prolong the life of our all important subarus.

Any advice, tips, leads, facts, or general knowledge would be greatly appreciated, and maybe even make me break some bad habits!

Remember if all four wheels are poiting up thats a very bad thing :banana:

Regular fluid changes, especially tranny and coolant. Rotate tires and try to keep them matching

nipper

I've learned a lot since I've been hanging with these guys and other internet resources. One eye-opener was reading about 'warped' brakes at stoptech. http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

more interesting reading is also at;

www.bobistheoilguy.com

There are also a lot of people with good experience at detailing/waxing, power mods, 'transplants'(soob engines in non-soob vehicles) etc. Just ask around or try the forums at www.nasioc.com .

Carl