Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I just found this great forum and I hope to get some help/advice.

I have a '96 Outback Auto 2.2L. This is a "work" car which is used for environmental sampling/consulting throughout Colorado. It was bought in July 05 with 124K on it. The shop we bought it from claimed it was just rebuilt. I have put 27k on it in 9 months or so...lots of miles through all kinds of CO weather..I am very impressed to say the least..great in the snow etc. I change the oil every 3k miles and rotate the tires every 7K.

Well things were going great until a couple of months ago when the altenator went bad..I replaced it but soon afterwards (like the next day) the heat controls stopped working. The controls seem to be stuck on the hottest setting. It runs great but the heat is getting unbearable at times

I am wondering if the altenator repair may have shorted something out??

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks

Chris

The chances are, the heat control incident was a coincidence.

I am pretty sure the 96 still uses a cable actuated flapper door. What does the hvac controls look like?

If it is cable actuated you should be able to get access or get near where the door is down below the glove box, to at least get the heat off until you can put in a new cable.

The chances are, the heat control incident was a coincidence.

I agree -coincidence. Check to make sure the cable is still connected in the dash (I think this is at the blower motor at the passenger's feet. Also check the control panel itself which requires removing the front bezel and inspecting the rear of the control panel.