Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a '99 Legacy Outback, automatic tranny, 109K miles. It has the spin-on transmission fluid filter, probably factory original, and I want to change it.

I stopped at my local dealer this morning and bought the filter, and the parts guy also sold me a "gasket" that is identical to the crush washer on the tranny fluid drain plug (engine oil drain plug has the same crush washer). The parts guy indicated to me that the crush washer goes over the threaded nipple that ATF filter screws on to. Seems strange to me, and I couldn't find any reference to it in the FSM.

To anyone who has changed one of these filters, was there a crush washer on there?

No big deal if it's not needed on the filter, I'll just use it on the drain plug, which is where I think it goes.

Thanks!

That's what I thought regarding the gasket.

What's the best tool to unscrew it? I've got a strap type oil filter wrench and a rubber strap wrench. I don't have a cap style wrench that fits, but I could buy one.

I've never had real trouble with a spin-on filter, but then I've never tried to remove one that had been in place for over 100K miles.