Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project Cheap gets a cheap paint job

DrKrazy

Well started with me straightening some bashed metal that came from getting a large rock stuck between the front tire and unibody/fender, and then on to stopping some surface rust that was starting in certain places where I cut the car up (and neglected to primer it). Well needless to say it ended up getting out of hand as things usually do with me and I ended with a new paint job on the car. Washed the whole car down, did some sanding/rust removal, couple cans of flat black, and a couple coats of clear over it..and I now have a two-tone sedan. What do you guys think did I go too far?? :D Hoping it will hide the future dents a bit better....

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

looks sharp! need some door trim? :lol: I can hook you up!

Haha yes I do actually, would need to be off an 85/86 though. I had that piece but it fell off twice...last time it fell off someplace while I was driving....didn't even know it. So it's long gone now.

looks great...:headbang:

BTW-where'd you get the push bars? (what vehicle would it be from?) and how was it to mount?

Looks like one form an EA81 car. LUVMYBRAT has one on the front of his '84 Brat

http://community.webshots.com/photo/332702224/2045041840067339125iLsTqM

Lookin good Keith! I might see about gettin that door trim for you. Are you comin to the Red Rocks meet in a couple weeks? You should bring the RX and pask it next to mine MWAHAHAHA!

These cars look great with 2 tone with black on the bottom. My light blue wagon has the bottom black just like yours (I was covering up a bunch of rust repair that I had done), and it makes the car look much nicer.There's something satisfying about using spray paint to make a big difference in the look of the car for cheap.

Cab is right the bull bar is from an EA81 series car, I just made a few extensions and some other minor fabbing to get it to work. No welding though, but it's on there good. Thanks guys, appreciate the comments...wasn't sure if it was just me who actually thought it made it look better. I'll try to make it to the meet but I do work Sunday's and my baby boy is due fairly close to that time so who knows!

If it were me, I'd do a spray on Bedliner rather than paint.

A single can goes a long way, It's tougher than paint and easy to fix.

yep, KickAssFlash and I were talking yesterday about that, he's still got a bunch of herculiner roll-on bedliner left over from when he did the interior of his jeep. we'll probably do it to our wagons (his purely for the protection, since it's already black).