Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There needs to be a smiley face that scratches it's head in thought... because that's what i've been doing for some time now.... at first i thought it was my swaybar, so i took it out, no big deal.. but it still does it... when ever i crank it all the way left, and there's a loud 'Klunk'ing noise. I'm guessing it could be the steering 'yoke' (Universal Joint thing) again... anyone else have this problem before? The last time there was no klunk it just was hard to turn, turned out that the bearings in the yoke there siezed up, made it near impossible to turn..... Once in a while i'll get that hardness of turning... but not all the time...all the time it makes that klunking noise... i guess i could get off my rump roast and tear out the yoke again, to see if it's siezing again... but i'm lazy... eh...

ideas? :-\

My steering yoke went bad, but it did not clunk, it just rattled on rough roads. It may have started to clunk if I had not changed it. You might also have your struts checked.

There needs to be a smiley face that scratches it's head in thought... because that's what i've been doing for some time now.... at first i thought it was my swaybar, so i took it out, no big deal.. but it still does it... when ever i crank it all the way left, and there's a loud 'Klunk'ing noise. I'm guessing it could be the steering 'yoke' (Universal Joint thing) again... anyone else have this problem before? The last time there was no klunk it just was hard to turn, turned out that the bearings in the yoke there siezed up, made it near impossible to turn..... Once in a while i'll get that hardness of turning... but not all the time...all the time it makes that klunking noise... i guess i could get off my rump roast and tear out the yoke again, to see if it's siezing again... but i'm lazy... eh...

My steering yoke went bad, but it did not clunk, it just rattled on rough roads. It may have started to clunk if I had not changed it. You might also have your struts checked.

struts.. interesting.. it does sound like it comes from the left side... perhaps i have the top struct bolt too tight... i'll go check that torque spec.. or maybe the bearing in there has crap in it.. hmm...

if i remeber correctly you used a used yoke last time. Bet if you use a new one it will go away.

nipper

if i remeber correctly you used a used yoke last time. Bet if you use a new one it will go away.

nipper

i bet you're right :rolleyes: silly me, grabbing the nice rusty ones out of the junk yard :-\

sometimes if i nail the thing w/ pb blaster it will chear right up and act fine :-p