Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help...Need Advice on Buying Used Subaru

Greetings... I am looking to buy a used subaru for my college bound daughter. I am not experienced with the brand, driving my 6th honda, but she is going to school in Buffalo and I wanted AWD and reasonable gas mileage. Based on my budget, I am seeing Legacy's, Impreza's and Outbacks in the 1995-1999 range with 70K-110K miles. I was wonder what types of pitfalls I might be walking into buying a car of that age, with that type of mileage, my experience with honda's is that they'll reliably run into the 150K-170K range without major repairs, what type of reliability can I expect for a subaru? Is there anything I should be specifically looking out for?

Thanks for any and all advice provided.

TMY23

if you find any 90-94 legacy go for that, as the pre95 were imported from japan and the 95 and later in good ol' INDIANA

anyway the 90-94 has been proven the ost rock solid soob thus far.

the later 98-00 odels were prone to head gasket recalls

I agree I have a 92 Legacy with the 2.2 it has over 241000 miles on it. It runs like new. We call it the Super Poo. It has been to hell and back. You can't kill it. We also have a 1999 Outback and Forester. All 3 cars are amazing.

Ive never had the 2.2 but my understanding is that its a tank!

Look for leaking water pump. And if you look at a '99 Legacy, well some of their speedometer stop working. Its ok, I already sent Subaru 2 complaint letters about that one. Ridiculous.

Greetings... I am looking to buy a used subaru for my college bound daughter. I am not experienced with the brand, driving my 6th honda, but she is going to school in Buffalo and I wanted AWD and reasonable gas mileage. Based on my budget, I am seeing Legacy's, Impreza's and Outbacks in the 1995-1999 range with 70K-110K miles. I was wonder what types of pitfalls I might be walking into buying a car of that age, with that type of mileage, my experience with honda's is that they'll reliably run into the 150K-170K range without major repairs, what type of reliability can I expect for a subaru? Is there anything I should be specifically looking out for?

TMY23

Why not a CRV?

Why not a CRV?

Dude, your supposed to plug Subaru's. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, the CR-V's AWD system is no where near as refined in the snow as Subaru's. It can get confused on patchy roads. The CR-V's Real-Time 4WD is front wheel drive untill slip is detected, and then it engages the rear wheels. Consumer Reports said it gets a little confused on snowy and dry roads.

The HG issue on the 2.5L is around 8-10%. Not a huge issue. The (last-gen) CR-V tends to burn it's exhaust valves at around 100k.

I work at a Subaru dealer. If you are looking at a Subaru, I can run the VIN and let you know the service record, provided it was dealer serviced.

DR. Outback,

Thanks for the kind offer. Looking at a 1997 Outback, 93K miles on it, Will see it tomorrow and will get VIN etc to have ti checked out.

Thanks Again!!

TMY23

Dude, your supposed to plug Subaru's. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, the CR-V's AWD system is no where near as refined in the snow as Subaru's. It can get confused on patchy roads. The CR-V's Real-Time 4WD is front wheel drive untill slip is detected, and then it engages the rear wheels. Consumer Reports said it gets a little confused on snowy and dry roads.

The HG issue on the 2.5L is around 8-10%. Not a huge issue. The (last-gen) CR-V tends to burn it's exhaust valves at around 100k.

I work at a Subaru dealer. If you are looking at a Subaru, I can run the VIN and let you know the service record, provided it was dealer serviced.

+1

i love my 97 outback, but she blew the head gaskets at 120k. found out it was only on the right side, but still $1700 to fix. ouch for a college student.

it works wonders in snow and will haul all the stuff for a dorm room (everything i brought for my first year fit with room to spare). its a great car, and even with a blown head gasket, i wouldn't trade it for anything.

ask owner if head gasket were changed, any problems experienced, etc. check coolant overflow for oil and exhaust flumes!

TMY23

I just bought a 98 Legacy L 2.2L (101,000 miles) for $4,200 for my daughter (gets her licences next month). I put a new timing belt, water pump, T-Stat and the other maintenace item, for a little over $400.00. This is great car and drives likes it new. I can't wait until it starts snowing again so I can take her out in the snow (can't believe I just typed that, winter last for 9 months in Michigan and I love summer). I aleady put on over 3,000 miles on it (owned for about a month). Gas mileage is around 25mpg (city and highway).

Bill

Watch out for 97+ outbacks, they have headgaskets problems. the 96-99 2.5L have headgasket issues

SLegacy, just to let you know......the 2.2L is the best engine subaru ever made.

I got a 96 outback 5spd that has a 2.2L 113k for under 5grand, with all the options. I plan on having it for the next 8 years of my college experience