Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Skid plate Qs(EA82 front)

Iv'e been planing on making a bigger skid plate for the front of the turbo, out of thicker stuff(aluminium or steel). But now that I look @ the stock pice, it looks stout!:eek:

How well have the stock units held up for all U hard core off-roaders? And how well do they protect? (ie: are there things it should keep safe, but dosen't) Should I even bother with making a new one?

man, I smashed my oilpan so hard i bent the pickup inside. The only reason that my EA82 isn't FUBAR is because the skidplate did such a good job. They're small, but they do the job, plus with the subtle ribbing it gives a few areas of crumple room.

Dude, you should design and fab some mean fender flares for people who want or need to cut the fenders for bigger tires...

I made skid plates for my 92 Loyale wagon out of 2/8" thick, hardened, diamond plate aluminim that has been bolted on and/or attached with GE silicone sealer. It was made from scrap I was able to pick up at the local metal supply co. for $20. Now they protect the:

* front roll-pan

* oil pan

* mid-exhaust

A year ago I made some for my all-road minivan project, to protect the vitals when taking it off road to the cabin. The aluminum plate holds up very well. It's as strong a steel but weighs about 1/3 less.

T.J.