Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Side Marker Lights Won't Turn Off

hi,

car battery was disconnected six months ago...

upon connecting battery terminals, the side marker lights immediately went on as did the back running lights, with no key in the ignition ...

the other oddity is when car is running you can hear a ticking sound coming from under the dash...

the ticking sound cycles through to a count of sixty, then silence for about 10 seconds...

is there a computer reset that is needed to clear these two oddities...

any light shed on this problem would be appreciated...

thanks in advance...

windr

Not sure about Subarus, but my Porsche's side light would stay on if the turn signal level was in either the right or left position (the side marker for the corresponding direction would be on only) even with the car turned off and key out of the ignition.

gauge lights turn on at all? if not, you probably hit the parking light switch (commonly refered to as the "idiot switch" here) on the steering column.

model and year would be helpful in confirming this...

I thought it was the "virgin switch"?

the clicking seems to be indicative of the alarm system, though.

Windrunner, does your car have keyles entry from the factory? Are the lights on solid, or are they flashing?

It's your remote keyless entry system flashing the lights. There's probably a sticker under the hood near the battery or attached to the battery cable describing this phenomenon and how to correct it. If you had a siren on the car, it would be sounding along with the lights flashing. To stop the flashing, either press the "unlock" button on the remote entry transmitter, or turn the ignition on and reach up under the dash and press the programming button which you'll probably find in a bundle of wires.

i've seen both on here.

if the lights are:

flashing (w/ gauge lights on)= alarm

solid (w/o gauge lights on)= switch

we need more info, dude...

thanks everybody...

problem solved...

first, the switch on the steering column was flipped, then

i clicked the lock and unlock buttons on keyless entry thingy a couple of times and...

viola, no more ticking sound and parking lights turned off...

windr

Happens to everyone. Don't worry.

If only all car troubles were this easy to solve.

Think clicking my keyless entry button a bunch will fix my screwy fuel temp sensor? :confused: or maybe the large mess of a steering rack i have in there.. mmm... i'll try some more :brow:

On the topic.. if the battery in your clicker dies, and you descided to disconnect the battery, and manage to lock all the doors, and leave the spare key that works in the car 2 miles away in your house... yeah... kick yourself in the face like i should have :banghead:

Originally Posted by 91Loyale

Happens to everyone. Don't worry.

If only all car troubles were this easy to solve.

Think clicking my keyless entry button a bunch will fix my screwy fuel temp sensor? :confused: or maybe the large mess of a steering rack i have in there.. mmm... i'll try some more :brow:

Yea, like: Leaking head gasket? No problem! Happened to all of us. Just flip the switch under the steering column you must have bumped with your knee and all will be OK.