Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt problems agian

ok i have an 87 xt 1.8l na, its at a subie dealer but they keep throwing parts at it and getting no whare, it kinda runs but no idle they said its the computer but thats way expensive and they raped me on the timming belt and that wasnt the problem. it seems to me like a sensor like tps or mass, they said the injectors are wide open all the time but that seems impossable to me because if that were true wouldnt it flood out the motor as soon as i turn the key on, any help would be great if you guys need more input from me on the problem let me know. i need to get this car back on the road.

thanks

svxin

what were the simptoms with the dead computer? like i said the car runs but only at higher rpms and it will not idle its like its getting to much fuel its done this to me servel times before and i replaced the mass air and throttle body and it was fine for a few monts then the same thing would happen it smokes real bad and sputters etc.

Does the exhaut show excessively rich running? How about the spark plugs. Common issues are incorrect timing belt timing, incorrect ignition timing, bad ignition components (plugs, wires, rotor, and cap in about that order), and bad Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS).

I have heard that disconnecting the MAF wiring will show whether it is malfunctionigng or not: If it runs beter with the MAF wiring disconnected then the MAF is suspect. This is what I have read... :-\

they said they put new plus in, the cap and rotor are new i will have to check it out more indepth when i get the car back next week, but they put a new timming belt on so i know it should be right on