Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SVX or H6 3.0 in a 2.5GT

rlsimpso

Has anyone ever looked in to putting a SVX 3.3 or OB H6 3.0 in place of an EJ25?

SVX engines are pretty cheap on ebay. I would guess it would need an adapter to go a 5 speed. I seem smallcarperformance does a 5 speed conversion for the SVX, but not seeing anything about an adapter.

I seem to remember a rally racer who put a 3.0 in an impreza. Am I correct is assuming transmissions mounts are the same between the 4 and the 6? If so, it should be a direct swap, right? I am sure the computer and harness are completely different, so that would all need to go. Upgrade the rad and probably do front suspension too, as the 6 should be heavier.

Anyone who has done a n/a to turbo engine swap think this would be more or less difficult/problematic then that.

My goal is get a more power and hopefully more reliability over the EJ25. I am not looking to make a crazy street racer. I would go buy an STi and call it a day, and have a warranty:)

Would I be better off looking at a jdm turbo ej20? I am nervous about buying a used turbo engine.

Thoughts?

Rob

Supposedly the 6 cylinder engine is only a 2-3 inches longer then the 4. I was looking at an 04 OB H6 at the dealer the other day and it is tight, but it fits in the same space as the SOHC EJ25.

They managed the cram one in a VW Vanagon too:) .

Rob

I think it would be a pain in the arse to try and cram that motor into that engine bay. Probably some cutting required.

Actually, the 3.3 will fit in an Impreza engine bay without any cutting or the like. Problem is you need to relocate the cooling system and air condensor just so you'd be able to change accessory belts.

has more power

REALLY? Hmm.. My friend who drove my stock SVX w/ 200k+ miles said it pulled harder than the Tribeca he rented. (I got to ride in it.. :eek: ) Maybe it's a weight thing..

Anyway, back on topic... sounds like it would be a bit better to go with the 3.0 in this case.. for parts and probably tuning as well.. and definately for fitting it in there. It takes me 1/2 hour just to change the plugs in my svx :headbang:

the 3.0 is shorter than the 3.3, has more power, and has been built longer so parts are easier to find, and its more reliable.

if it were me i'd go 3.0, and its got a timing chain so no probs with the t-belt.

Yes the 3.0 is shorter but it doesn't have more power. Hp is higher. 250 vs 230 but Torque is weaker at 212 vs 230 for the SVX. By far the SVX engine is a better engine and making everything else equal it just as reliable if not more so than the 3.0. It is just not likely you'll find a 3 year old 20k SVX motor but you can find a 3 year old 20k 3.0. Not sure about the 3.0 logevity elsewhere but it isn't any older than the 3.3 yet here in the states as the SVX was made for 5 years and this is what the 4th for the 3.0?

As for the chains vs belts. Personally I'd take the quieter belt over a chain which will only get ya about 1.5 times the life as a belt.

the 3.0R is a better design and is going to have more aftermarket support. the EG33 is really just an ej22(NA) with two cylenders slapped on, whereas the EZ30R was designed from the get go as a 6cyl.

Yeah, your right. There's a lot of ej22s out there with 4 cams aren't there.:headbang: I think you're thinking of the 27 which wasn't much more than a EA82 with 2 extra cylinders. The SVX however, has virtually nothing in common with the 22.

Every engine mentioned, 2.2, 2.5, 3.0, 3.3 has the same bellhousing pattern. They all will bolt to a 5spd legacy or impreza tranny. No adapter needed.

I belive that 3.3 pistons are interchangable with 2.2's. This would tend to support 2.2 with 2 extra cyl's slapped on. Which is not a bad thing. The 2.2 was the most rock solid engine ever built by subie (power wise, EA81 peeps keep you shirts on) So building off of that would be good right? The 2.5 was an all new design, and it blew lots of headgaskets.

Every engine mentioned, 2.2, 2.5, 3.0, 3.3 has the same bellhousing pattern. They all will bolt to a 5spd legacy or impreza tranny. No adapter needed.

I belive that 3.3 pistons are interchangable with 2.2's. This would tend to support 2.2 with 2 extra cyl's slapped on. Which is not a bad thing. The 2.2 was the most rock solid engine ever built by subie (power wise, EA81 peeps keep you shirts on) So building off of that would be good right? The 2.5 was an all new design, and it blew lots of headgaskets.

Not the same pistons. Wish they were b/c I could get some decently stronger ones made cheaply. As one who owns two SVXs and races one of them, I'm fairly familiar with the engine and what can be used and what can't. It was pretty much of a show piece engine of its day and shares virtually nothing (not even a oil filter according to Subaru) with the 2.2.

• 3 weeks later...