Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 Wagon in Utah up for grabs!

I have an '86 Subaru that I'm looking to get out of the driveway. I figure I have two options 1) Sell it to a junk yard or 2) get it into the hands of someone who might actually use it.

There are a few problems with it:

-it has a little cancer, but nothing terribly bad yet.

-One of the headlight relays is bad

-The engine has been overheated, but I don't know if it caused any damage or not.

- Right Rear wheel bearing is bad.

- in order to be street legal it will need a new windshield (or a really good rock chip repair) The windshield is in good shape, but has a decent size rock chip in the driver's line of sight.

- It has no muffler (cat and pipe is still there, it's just been cut just before the muffler)

If you're interested in walking away with a "new" subie and don't mind getting a little dirty fixing things up, this one is for you!

Well, I've just made a deal to have the Soob out of the driveway by next saturday (June 3rd.)

If someone wants it, the key is in the ignition and the title is signed in the glovebox. Just PM me for the address and/or my phone number. If I don't hear from anybody or the car isn't gone by then, it's going to be permanantly retired.

I will have some pics up this afternoon so you know what you're getting. (besides a free soob)

Well, I've just made a deal to have the Soob out of the driveway by next saturday (June 3rd.)

If someone wants it, the key is in the ignition and the title is signed in the glovebox. Just PM me for the address and/or my phone number. If I don't hear from anybody or the car isn't gone by then, it's going to be permanantly retired.

(besides a free soob)

I wonder if this approach would work on my Mother-Inlaw???

I just came back from Utah yesterday...was all over the state but no way to tow one back... plus my wife would have resented the competition.

I'll come pick it up if no one wants it. Subarian, how about you?

I have been trying to talk my neighbor into it, I'll ask again.

These are getting rare around these parts.

It should be restored, best case or at least used for donor parts for other subies?

I'll come pick it up if no one wants it. Subarian, how about you?

I have been trying to talk my neighbor into it, I'll ask again.

These are getting rare around these parts.

It should be restored, best case or at least used for donor parts for other subies?

I'd personally like to keep it for parts or do a little work and make myself something to take up south mountain, but since I'll be moving soon, I can't really take it with me and my parent's don't want it sitting around.

..that's why I'm looking at it for a friend. It helps with my subalust and won't get me in trouble. :clap:

Wow did you put it into words that hit home.

I am trying to get my friend into a 1996-2001 impreza. Yep subalust ...

BW

I'm trying to convince my wife. My friend doesn't want it- his son wants a newer car. He's sitting across the table from me right now and I'm trying to talk him into it.

I might have a hard time with my wife. Right now I've got three 86 EA82 wagons and two first-generation Legacy sedans. She's having a hard time understanding why I need another Subaru.

Tell your wife it's an investment!:grin:

You need to get one before they are all gone!

Tell your son about it's potential.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2890&cat=614

"Just think Son, This could be you!"

It's not my son; he's already got one of my Subarus. It's my friend's son, and his dad originally came to me and asked me to find him a project car his son could work on to learn about cars, but now dad is backing out.

Come on Utah, step up!

This is a salvagable Soobie.

Tell us more about it?

Does it start?

Does it idle?

How does the motor sound?

When it over heated, what happend?

Has it over heated since?

Someone must need a project car!

Come on Utah, step up!

This is a salvagable Soobie.

Tell us more about it?

Does it start?

Does it idle?

How does the motor sound?

When it over heated, what happend?

Has it over heated since?

Someone must need a project car!

It starts, it idles, it even moves under it's own power!!! I start it up about once a week or so and let it idle for a few minutes just to keep things moving. The only major problem with the mobility of the car is the rear wheel bearing, which moves, but sounds like hell.

As far as I can tell, the motor sounds fine. When the car overheated I was going up butterfield canyon, when I noticed the needle going into the red I pulled over and let it idle while I opened up the hood to help dissipate the heat.

I then replaced a small hose with a pin hole in it and haven't had a problem overheating since. (imagine a water gun shooting coolant in the engine bay, that's what the hose looked like.)

This car is free for the taking and I will keep it around if someone shows interest in taking it, but unfortunately no interest = bye bye subie.