Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it normal to be able to spin the rear wheels on a AWD vehicle when the car is in park. I have a Forester that I jacked up in the rear and I was able to spin the tires. Does this mean the rear wheel drive has been disengaged???

more info, was one wheel up or both rear? open differentials with both wheels up, one will spin one way and the other will spin in reverse. i don't know if only one wheel up. i don't know if the awd clutch sending power to the rear is locked or loose when power is off.

more info, was one wheel up or both rear? open differentials with both wheels up, one will spin one way and the other will spin in reverse. i don't know if only one wheel up. i don't know if the awd clutch sending power to the rear is locked or loose when power is off.

One wheel up at a time. This is an automatic

If I recall correctly, the AWD in the automatic is through a clutch pack, not a viscous coupling. As such, it wouldn't be engaged with the engine off, and the rear wheels would be free to spin.

that was my guess but i couldn't think through the power on /off to the solenoid deal. i've seen the park lock on a 97 a/t and it's pretty simple. it's in the awd clutch housing on the rear end of the trans.

besides i don't remember jacking with out the e-break on. i guess rear disc would be a reason.