Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blown HG and swap/motor work options... Help!

fastenova

OK, I'm in need of some advice on my '97 2.5GT...

I've got a EJ25 with what I am assuming is a blown HG again. I replaced the HG 30k ago at 135k on the ticker, and the car run wonderfully until this winter. Started having overheating issues again, and found oil in my coolant. I've done a ton of research on this issue BOTH times, and am confident it's a bad HG. So, here are my options... what should I do?

1. Pull motor, reseal with new head gaskets, and hope for another 30k+

2. Pull motor, tear off heads, take block in to be check for flatness, and if necessary, mill block... This means I have to take block apart, and if I have to do that I might as well do an overhaul on the bottom end. Or, go the performance route with oversize pistons, mill the heads, grind the crank + cams a bit... more money than I want to spend in either case, really.

3. Motor swap. Options are 2.2L with the possibility of a turbo later, SOHC 2.5 (More reliable Phase 2), or 3.3L SVX motor (Fun, torquey, and FAST! but a lot of cash and work to fit it in there...). WRX motor is a possibility but pretty spendy too.

4. Scrap/part out the car. I just lowered it and have some cash into the car, and honestly LOVE it, but I might be better off getting something else.

Any thoughts? Have have others dealt with the EJ25's recurring HG issues? I don't want this to be a routine maintenance thing. I can do the work myself and even have a hoist and stand, but I need something more reliable.

Definatly start with a compression test, even though oil + coolant is pretty telling, you'd kick yourself if it wasen't the HG's. I'd really evaluate what you want out of the car and if you are going to be happy with it for another 100K+ if you want to do the block work.

i'd put in a 2.2 and then decide to sell or not.

if you do it , what's it cost, $500??

you want to play around with the 2.5 afterwards and rebuild / sell then you have time.

OK, I'm in need of some advice on my '97 2.5GT...

I've got a EJ25 with what I am assuming is a blown HG again. I replaced the HG 30k ago at 135k on the ticker, and the car run wonderfully until this winter. Started having overheating issues again, and found oil in my coolant. I've done a ton of research on this issue BOTH times, and am confident it's a bad HG. So, here are my options... what should I do?

1. Pull motor, reseal with new head gaskets, and hope for another 30k+

2. Pull motor, tear off heads, take block in to be check for flatness, and if necessary, mill block... This means I have to take block apart, and if I have to do that I might as well do an overhaul on the bottom end. Or, go the performance route with oversize pistons, mill the heads, grind the crank + cams a bit... more money than I want to spend in either case, really.

3. Motor swap. Options are 2.2L with the possibility of a turbo later, SOHC 2.5 (More reliable Phase 2), or 3.3L SVX motor (Fun, torquey, and FAST! but a lot of cash and work to fit it in there...). WRX motor is a possibility but pretty spendy too.

4. Scrap/part out the car. I just lowered it and have some cash into the car, and honestly LOVE it, but I might be better off getting something else.

Any thoughts? Have have others dealt with the EJ25's recurring HG issues? I don't want this to be a routine maintenance thing. I can do the work myself and even have a hoist and stand, but I need something more reliable.

or better yet....throw in a EJ22 block under your EJ25 heads and turbo the thing. a used 2.2 block in decent shape shouldnt be too much money, and then all you have to worry about is the turbo stuff, up/down pipes, turbo header, turbo.....etc....then you look on nasioc for thread about tapping an oil feed line from your heads to your turbo. it will take time and you car will be down for a little bit, but you can run 12-15 psi. thru it no problem and it would be fast as $hit.

~Josh~