Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wrx Brat

rguyver

CORRECT !!! i got a 2004 USDM complete STI in parts so the motor tranny and rear diff will be swapped in but it may not happen till this winter if i still want to drive it this summer , it will require new custom axels , wiring ,diff mount and shifter boot , and i havent figured out if i will need to make the tranny tunnel bigger " i think yes " so cutting and welding in the bigger tunnel is going to have to happen .

damn! that would be sick!!

I've heard that the 6MT is the same size as an EJ 4EAT. which Gloyale proved only barely fits in an EA82 tranny tunnel......yea, I think you'll have to do some modifiying to get it all to fit.

also....r180 in a brat :slobber::slobber:

I'm officially more jealous of your brat than I was before. I didn't know that was possible! Nice freakin work man!!!!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been lurking on the forum for a bit, and was rather interested in this thread. I too have been contemplating swapping the engine and drivetrain from a STi into an old hatch or brat as a M4 rallycross car. I would guess that the end result could be quite a lot lighter and faster than a STi or even a swapped Impreza coupe.

Do you know what your brat weighs now?

its just over 2200 lb but i think it will push over 2500 lb with the sti engine and tranny , its not so much the car that is heavy its all the 4x4 drive train but thats around 900lb lighter then a loaded STI .

I am no longer concerned about the weight its faster then the tires can hold :burnout:

it will require new custom axels

What are you going to do with the old axles? I'd be interested in buying them from you. I'm going to convert my Hatch to AWD and 5 lug wheels next summer (as you already know) so I could really use those axles. Let me know, I'm in no big hurry.

Thanks, earl

this is an up date on my brat as it is now, i added the STI seats powder coated intake and role bar

4582_104546866920_635456920_2418925_2597607_n.jpg

n635456920_2418136_5990983.jpg

n635456920_2418135_7506974.jpg

guess what this is and what it may go in to ???????

4582_104550161920_635456920_2418975_991079_n.jpg

OMG...:slobber::slobber::grin::slobber::slobber:

yes 4eat is the same overall size as a six speed I'm betting that with xt6 and six speed crossmember parts one could bolt a six speed into an 87+ ea82...but damn.. into a brat? Holy fabrication batman! Gonna be totally amazing. I can't wait:burnout::burnout:

Kaz

What are you going to do with the old axles? I'd be interested in buying them from you. I'm going to convert my Hatch to AWD and 5 lug wheels next summer (as you already know) so I could really use those axles. Let me know, I'm in no big hurry.

Thanks, earl

i havent decided what the WRX engine and tranny are going in too yet but ill keep you in mind if i want to sell them .

i may sell it as a complete package for a swap in to a older EA .

What does it cost to make those axles? I would love to make my brat AWD! Even with 4lug!

the machine work and weld would be around 200$ an axle + core depending on the work needed or 200$ + the cost of 2 axles if you wanted to keep the 4 lug because you would need a EJ inner and EA outer ends put together .

the machine work and weld would be around 200$ an axle + core depending on the work needed or 200$ + the cost of 2 axles if you wanted to keep the 4 lug because you would need a EJ inner and EA outer ends put together .

So basically you need RX axles...

Or any turbo axle from after 1980, right?

Twitch

So basically you need RX axles...

Or any turbo axle from after 1980, right?

Twitch

if you are going to keep the 4 lug yes 1985 and newer turbo axles would work too for a AWD EJ trans swap or change out the shafts in the tranny for the smaller ones from a non turbo EA tranny to be able to just use the stock shafts , but you will have to split the case to swap the shafts .

no Ea81 had 25 splines

Ea82 and EJ22 axles are longer and will not work with EA81 control arms.

so, if you want a 25 spline trans and EA81 hubs.....there's probably a way to put 25-spline DOJ cups on the EA81 shafts.

i thought so too but i havent found that conversion shorter shaft for the front that has the same shaft splines as a EA82 or newer so i just cut them so i can get the bigger joints at each end .

no Ea81 had 25 splines

Ea82 and EJ22 axles are longer and will not work with EA81 control arms.

so, if you want a 25 spline trans and EA81 hubs.....there's probably a way to put 25-spline DOJ cups on the EA81 shafts.

I had a set made by CV of Ocala a long time ago and they were fine. I ended up splitting my trans case and making the 23 splines stubs fit the trans which was easy. Made the prospect of a road trip without bringing a spare custom axle along a much nicer car to take.

When getting custom axles made, how much of a factor is in balancing the shafts? Would it wear the seals and things a lot faster if the axle shaft was unbalanced?

if the shaft is built and spun on a lathe it would not need to be balanced as long as its not bent .

What kind of custom work did you have to do , to get the wrx trans mounted in.Was there any cross members that would work for the trans?

or was it all fab work? I would like to see pics if possible. I'm doing a complete wrx swap into a 85 gl 10 wagon. Thanks Robert in Portland

What kind of custom work did you have to do , to get the wrx trans mounted in.Was there any cross members that would work for the trans?

or was it all fab work? I would like to see pics if possible. I'm doing a complete wrx swap into a 85 gl 10 wagon. Thanks Robert in Portland

custom cross member , i welded the old 4speed and the EJ 5speed along with some square tubing so i could use the EJ STI tranny mount .

i dont have any pics now but ill try to get some up some time .

best thing to do is have the tranny in the car and held up with a jack and start trying to fit, cut and weld something to hold it up , dont forget exhaust pipe clearance.