Ultimate Subaru Message Board

boost and high compression EA82....

For those of you running a high compression EA82T, how much boost are you running and what kind of fuel management, if any, are you running as well? My plans are:

carbed EA82

gen 2 turbo heads

o-ringed block and heads

copper headgaskets

new headbolts

port-n-polished heads

port matched intake/exhaust and heads

my current setup of bolt ons (TD04, cold air intake, spyder intake, WRX TMIC, etc.)

fuel mods like 280ZX turbo injectors and AFPR

then I'll be getting a MS setup as well, later on this summer hopefully.

Wold this combination be able to handle 12psi as a daily driver possibly? Thoughts/suggestions/opinions/critisism is welcome

I take mine up to 12 psi WOT sometimes more. SPFI block TMIC 86 computer and maf. Run it rich. Don't bother with the port and polish, make sure the intercoolers pipes are smooth tho nice transitions and corners. Stock engine management with fuel pressure around 40psi or so with AFPR.

This will give you what you want while still maintaining as much stock equip. as possible which will save you much time and headaches. If it gets a bit wierd at higher fuel pressures consider running without the O2 sensor connected. Spend the money on the good bellmouth DP and exhaust and a good TMIC setup, help it breathe.

I take mine up to 12 psi WOT sometimes more. SPFI block TMIC 86 computer and maf. Run it rich. Don't bother with the port and polish, make sure the intercoolers pipes are smooth tho nice transitions and corners. Stock engine management with fuel pressure around 40psi or so with AFPR.

This will give you what you want while still maintaining as much stock equip. as possible which will save you much time and headaches. If it gets a bit wierd at higher fuel pressures consider running without the O2 sensor connected. Spend the money on the good bellmouth DP and exhaust and a good TMIC setup, help it breathe.

I have a AFPR on the way as we speak and currently saving a bit of cash to get the Nissan 280ZX turbo injectors off of ebay. I do know however at my elevation, I can run a wee bit less fuel pressure since I am 7200 feet above sea level but when I move to Washigton, thats what I'm worried about. I also have a 3" bellmouth downpipe on it as well. As far as breathing, I think it does it very well with a custom cold air intake, TD04, and my WRX TMIC...

I take mine up to 7500 rpm fairly often, #'s? I'd estimate a realistic 180chp tho I'm sure it'd dyno a bit higher...

Caboobaru are you sure you need the nissan injectors?

I really need a DP for my TD04 I see WJM has a stromung for sale but it's got a divorced wastegate and I want a bellmouth. Volume is where it's at.

I take mine up to 7500 rpm fairly often, #'s? I'd estimate a realistic 180chp tho I'm sure it'd dyno a bit higher...

Isn't this the guy who was bashing dynos and getting numbers in another thread? Why not just go to a group dyno day, spend the $45 or whatever the group rate is and get a couple of baseline pulls so if someone asks, "What kind of power are you making?" or "What do your REAL A/Fs look like at 7500 rpm?" you can do what WJM has done time and again and throw some HARD data their way instead of, "Well it might be making xxxhp and xxxlb/ft, but I really have no clue what it makes or what its doing at that rpm". Sorry for the rant, no harm or offense intended.

Oh, and Sport Compact Car is a kick a$$ rag, don't diss.

[/soapbox]

Isn't this the guy who was bashing dynos and getting numbers in another thread? Why not just go to a group dyno day, spend the $45 or whatever the group rate is and get a couple of baseline pulls so if someone asks, "What kind of power are you making?" or "What do your REAL A/Fs look like at 7500 rpm?" you can do what WJM has done time and again and throw some HARD data their way instead of, "Well it might be making xxxhp and xxxlb/ft, but I really have no clue what it makes or what its doing at that rpm". Sorry for the rant, no harm or offense intended.

Oh, and Sport Compact Car is a kick a$$ rag, don't diss.

[/soapbox]

Uhm well I was going to PM you a response but hey I love a bit drama..

Take another look at that post, like I said I'm not about to go an dyno my subies just for the sake of telling others what #'s I had on such and such date. I'll take that money and spend it on my kids thanks.

I was pointing out that to "tune" a car doesn't mean you need a dyno and that there is a difference between a #'s run and "tuning" in more than just dollars.

Understand?

I have no clue?

don't diss?

werd... .

AFPR = adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

as opposed to a RRFPR?

i remember calebz talking about a steel insert for the headbolts, you might want to look into that.

what are you using to control boost?

Sorry if I sounded harsh. I should have said that taking advantage of an inexpensive use of a dyno can unlock horsepower by showing potentially ineffective areas such as a lean condition or perhaps a drop in the curves that might be caused by a bad spark plug, etc. A dyno is a powerful tool in safely maximizing hp that might be hidden with simple dash read outs and seat-of-the-pants dyno. I'm trying to build a turbo project car on a student's budget, but a dyno is in the future for my wagon.

ok, forget the dyno debate, i fitted 9.5:1 pistons to my ea82t. i am running 15psi through an rs liberty cooler using stock injectors, a ford f250 fuel pump and an aussie Microtech engine management ecu. these run a map sensor only (no air flow meter) and has fully programmable fuel and ignition curves versus rpm and engine load. my wot afrs are at a nice and safe 12.2:1 as measured by wideband all the way to 7000rpm where the stocko rhb5 turbo is well out of puff. Power? buggered if i know or care, it goes ok for what it is. i have seen 10.5:1 engines run upto 20psi on our 98 octane fuel safely, make sure you have good intercooling and run the best engine management you can afford. its all in the tune.

well for right now, I'm dropping a regular EA82T block back into the car since my landlord is coming and I have to have it running. I'm going to continue to do performance stuff to this engine and when I move to Washington, I will build this higher compression engine for it. Plus, I wanna see what this engine I'm putting in here will do at a lower altitude first...