Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I checked mine today.

JF2AT53B1DE503147--5/83 285017

JF2AT53B3DE503151--5/83 286318

(Have to check VIN on hatch) 4/84 532282

hello all, i just joined and this'll be my first post... :headbang:

well, i have an 84 d/r 4wd 4speed hatchback with an obvious replacement motor. i understand that you're looking for serial #'s off original engines but i was hoping maybe someone could help me figure out what year my engine and carb are likely to be. the engine is stamped 625893, has no gold stickers on valve covers, has the two 10mm bolts on bottoms of heads, has hitachi dist, has 3 belt crank pulley and factory a/c. also, i'm used to the valve covers being the same blue as the air cleaner and mine are black, its obviously possible they were painted but it doesn't look like it - the paint is perfect (minus the effects here and there of heat and oil over 23 years!). my carb is a hitachi dcp306-12 104.

the reason i'm requesting this info is the fact that my carb needs to be replaced (upon dissasembly for rebuild i discovered parts missing inside and stripped threads throughout - damn the monkey that's responsible!) anyhow, i ordered a replacement for my year/options application and got a later model hitachi with no numbers but drasticly different vacuum fittings (no vac on the secondary diaphragm, 2 vac ports on choke pull off diaphragm, etc.). near as i can tell, i've got an earlier model engine. also, i was told that with a 5 as the 6th digit of my vin i should have a 1bbl carb.

somebody please show me where my steering wheel rolled off to!!!:confused:

1987 Brat, DR 4WD, original engine. Bought in 1993 from original owner in Albany, GA.

• Build Date - 06/1987
  • Engine number - 460949

I put in a newer motor a while back and was wondering what year a car it came out of. It's a EA81 and the ID says 583264. Is there any way of finding out what year it is from this number? Thanks!

Well the EA 81 was in production from 1980 to 1989. thats all i know haha somewhere in those 9 years

EA81, Build date 4/84, #519607

Hydro lifter engine(verified by stickers nand the fact it's in an automatic trans car)

Automatic, 4wd, *high luxury* model sedan. Every reason to believe this is the original engine.

EA81,

build date: 5/84

Engine #: 544606

4spd MT, d/r, original motor

Looking at Gloyale's " EA81, Build date 4/84, #519607"... in one month they pumped out 24,999 engines...

83 GL 4WD D/R

Built 11/82

EA81 #399491

I just replaced that old rod knocking monster (had a bad rod knock for the past two years) with #536170.

thought i would post my numbers too. im in australia and not sure if the engine number would be any use to you guys, but anyway...

year: 5/84

VIN: JF2AM5ERO1G0290xx

engine:EA81 524347

im not sure if the engine is the original

I have an 84 Brat by the registration. By the research here I think it is the original motor.

EA81 stamped on the block

SN- 451042

01/84 on the door jamb plaque

D

Edited by Big D
Found the door plaque

the manufacture date sticker is gone, but my 82 is 709509 and im pretty sure its the original. which would make it a very early 82, prolly manufactured in 81

1981 GL Brat. Manufacture date 06/81, EA81 engine #762670. Original motor.

Edited by MaddCelt

Just went out in the cold and popped the hood on Clod Brown (my 85 BRAT) for a look see. Fuji build date of 02/1985, engine #739450. BRRRR!!!! I vote on doing this stuff in the spring or summer.

My Bros 86 Brat that we got from the second owner who had it since '92 mfg. in 05/86 #125640

Ill get the wagon # next time im out there

So I finally made the adventure to my 81 wagon today, I assume its the original engine.#574656. Mfg in 4/81