Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cold Weather, but my heater doesnt work. Any help would be apreciated.

Hey All

Ever since I've had my baby, her heater hasn't worked. It blows air (not very well mind you), but even when cranked up to 36 degrees or whatever the max is, even after a half hour it only barely heats up enough to defog the windscreen.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Blown fuse or something more complex?

Legacy 91 GT AWD Turbo Wagon.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. It's not cold enough to freeze water (at least I don't think it is) and the thermostat stays comfortabley in the middle after a bit of driving.

The temp is cable controlled. As you adjust the temp, do you feel friction and hear the heater door moving? If not check the cable connection at both ends.

Is the fan working on all speeds?

When the car is up to temp and with the heater on check both heater line in the engine compartment, are the HOT. If they are, you have good flow to the heater core and back.

Cable controlled? Its an electronic panel, not the dial type. Or am I thinking something different?

The fan does have different speeds, depending on the mode you set it at. it does seem to go at all speeds, it just doesnt move a lot of air.

To compare, I jumped in my buddies familiar tonight and turned on his heater, the difference, just in the amount of air that comes through is huge. Seems something isnt right in my car.

Cable controlled? Its an electronic panel, not the dial type. Or am I thinking something different?

The fan does have different speeds, depending on the mode you set it at. it does seem to go at all speeds, it just doesnt move a lot of air.

To compare, I jumped in my buddies familiar tonight and turned on his heater, the difference, just in the amount of air that comes through is huge. Seems something isnt right in my car.

When you say electronic, do you mean a digital readout for temperature? If there is, check for a motor that operates a mixing door that allows air to bypass the heater core. See if it is functioning or not. Also, check to see if the venturi tube that allows air to pass over the sensor so that the door will compenstate. Try turning up the heat all the way up and see if the mixing door will activate. Also, when you turn up the blower does the blower spin up and down? If it does, you may have a blockage somewhere that is preventing the flow of air. If the blower doesn't spin up and down, then there might be something wrong with the resistor pack or the electronic control unit that activates the blower.

Worse case scenario could be that the control unit could be faulty and may need replacing.

Thanks, I'll have a look at everything listed. Yes, the readout on the panel is digital and the "increase/decrease temperature button" are simply an up and down arrow button.

However I'm a car noob and have no idea where to find all these things. Wheres the best place to start?

My first bet is the that the HVAC control amplifier is toast.

This is the brains behind the temp control function.

but and

I don't mean to turn away business

but you could have some luck with

this problem at

Legacy Central "Electrical" or "Interior" forum

Leg Central