Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vibration

i have a weardc vibration when ever i step on the gas the car will vibrate noticably and there is a buzzing sound occasionally. the car is an 89 xt-6 with a "new to me" reasealed engine/transmission and 160,000 on the clock and it has been doing it since before i put the new engine in i'm asking because i'm about to take a 3,000 mile road trip and i'm worried about making it

yes quite a bit of movement how much touble will this be how long can i expect before this causes real trouble? would it be safe to drive this car on a 3000 mile road trip or would it come back on a tow truck i mean i know it could fail tommorow but how far could i push it?

How long has it been doing this noise? 5K miles?

Has it been getting worse over that time?

I don't like the sound of driving a car with diff bearings on their way out, but if it's still the same as 5k ago, it might be alright for another 5k... If you can, I'd swap the trans, or get some new bearings for it before you go to far on it. It can cost a fair bit to move a car 1k miles I would imagine, more then a new trans even/maybe?

I have no experiance in this, so I am justing imagining what might go wrong.

Oh, got any stub axles lying around? Maybe turn it into RWD for a quick fix, then fix the diff later? Just an idea.