Ultimate Subaru Message Board

if the compressor was truly running, there would be some needle fluxuation as things got compressed or at the very least pumped. Look at the site glass (if you have one) can you see anything moving? WHne you engage the compressor do you hear the loud click of the clutch being engaged, and then followed by the engine working a little harder.

nipper

If the compressor is engaged there has to be higher pressure on the discharge side, unless the valves inside failed completely. Even then there would be variations as nipper says. Can you turn the hub by hand (with engine off, no need to remove the belt) and see if the compressor shaft spins with it?

Do you mean it is possible for the compressor clutch to rotate with out the compressor shaft spinning. Because this is what I think may be happening. It failed all of of a sudden. I just evacuated the system and it holds a great vaccuum. I assumed the compressor was gone or expamnsion valve stuck. How can I delineate this problem.

Do you mean it is possible for the compressor clutch to rotate with out the compressor shaft spinning. Because this is what I think may be happening. It failed all of of a sudden. I just evacuated the system and it holds a great vaccuum. I assumed the compressor was gone or expamnsion valve stuck. How can I delineate this problem.

the same way its possible for a engine to turn and only have two cylinders turn.

The compressor is a small pump, just like your engine. It has a crankshaft (a plate set at an angle if i remeber correctly) and pistons and valves. You shold be getting some pulsing from the gauges even if your valve is fried. I am begining to thnk your compressor is shot. Also this will requrie flushing out the system and a new receiver/drier. Its rare for the valve to go bad, as it is a very sealed system manipulating a clean fluid. IF the compressor did throw something, there can be debree in the entire system.

Best case scenario is the valve is shot. Worst case is the comprssor is shot. Either way (and since there is a possability we are wrong) its time to take it to a shop and have them look at it. Its really hard to diagnose over the internet. It would help to hear whats going on, but we cant do that.

nipper

Thanks for all our help. I just redid the evaporator on my volvo 850. I though I take a crack at my kids 1998 sub. I still think the compressors gone. By the way, I got a new compressor and clutch from ebay for $60.00 (Zexel DKV14G but I need a Zexel DKV14D)I quess the switch was time in the 97-98 MY. I wonder if I can get a later model mounting bracket and make it fit?

It is possible, for example, if the shaft is broken or the hub bolt is loose. This may sound strange but so is the problem itself. So are you positive the compressor is pumping? Even if the expansion valve is stuck open, inlet and outlet pressures should be different.

one last possability, but it does point out a dead compressor. There is porbably a shear pin someplace for when the compressor seizes, it doesnt take the drive belt or anything else with it. It is possible that that pin has sheared due to a seized compressor, allowing everything else to turn normally.

nipper