Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Almost a "new" subie owner

Hello all, soon I will be getting a 88 gl (or dl) 4wd wagon . It needs the timing belts replaced. My first subie but not my first semi-involved engine project. Oh, I'm getting the wagon for the cost of renting the dolley to tow it to my place!!!! Pretty sweet I think, the engine has 200K on it, how is that number for milage on a subaru? I here rumors that you can put more miles on these things than a space shuttle.

Just thought I would say hi. After I read through the manual I have I'll be doing a little achive searching and question asking regarding the car and the work that it will need to be drivable, but for know I don't have enough info to ask decent questions. Side note: I have a couple of ea82? engines in various states of togetherness and once things get sorted out with my new ride I'll be selling off the surplus parts.

I highly recommend avoiding 1993 vintage audis with automatic trasmissions.

Welcome!

Replacing the timing belts on the EA82 is not a major task. Biggest problem is getting the belt covers off, as the crank bolt has been in place for 20-odd years, and the bolts that hold on the covers themselves are threaded into inserts in the plastic covers, and the insert will sometimes spin rather than break loose from the bolt.

200k mileage is not major... the bigger issue is that all of the gaskets are getting old, brittle and leaky.

Wherabouts in WA are you??? Lots of us around the state.

Welcome. And congratulations on getting a Subaru that's barely broken in. You might want to reseal your oil pump and take a look at replacing your water pump while you've got the t-belts off. And I use anti-seize on the timing cover bolts when I put them back on. It makes the job a lot easier the next time (70,000 or 80,000 or 100,000 miles down the road).

A word of cauton. Some manuals have the timing belt procedure wrong, as they show both belts with the cam timing marks up. You'll install one side, rotate the engine 180 degrees, and install the other. When you're done, the timing mark on the flywheel (the center of three hash marks) will be aligned with the pointer, and one cam mark will be up and the other one down.

A word of cauton. Some manuals have the timing belt procedure wrong, as they show both belts with the cam timing marks up. You'll install one side, rotate the engine 360 degrees, and install the other. When you're done, the timing mark on the flywheel (the center of three hash marks) will be aligned with the pointer, and one cam mark will be up and the other one down.

Rotate the engine 360*, so the cam rotates 180* ;)