Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever used these headlghts...

Luki:

I put a pair of Sylvania Xtravisions (not the same as what you're talking about, but maybe similar) in my '97. There were noticeably better than the OEM lights, but only lasted me for about 10 months before both burned out almost at the same time. The dimmer OEM ones are now back in. YMMV.

Steve

Yes you have to be VERY careful installing halogen bulbs. Do not touch the actual bulb with your hands at all. If you do, get some rubbing alcohol and get it off. The oil your skin secretes will cause the bulb to burn hotter than it's supposed to and will cause the bulb to burn out prematurely..

Trust me I know :brolleye:

Yeah, I was super paranoid when I installed them. The bulbs did not touch anything organic or otherwise.:D

That is the only that I saw that was bad about my outback. I put one light in and turned them on so I could compare. The new bulb was at least twice as bright and much whiter. The "uber" outback is ready to roll!

To clarify, I guess I should have mentioned that I didn't touch the bulbs either and was very careful in installing them... and they still burned out in less than a year. I would suggest carrying spares in case they both go while you're on the road, I know I would based on my experience. I had to drive home with my foglights. But, like I said, YMMV; I hope they last longer for everyone else :)

Steve