Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Woohoo PARTS ARE HERE!

Question... When you talk about o-ring'ed gaskets do you mean that metal ring around the cyl holes? The cheap o gaskets I get for my EA81 (well, not really cheap'o, just cheap) have that too.. Or are we talking about something else about the headgaskets?

:confused: Soundin like a noob. :rolleyes:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question... When you talk about o-ring'ed gaskets do you mean that metal ring around the cyl holes? The cheap o gaskets I get for my EA81 (well, not really cheap'o, just cheap) have that too.. Or are we talking about something else about the headgaskets?

:confused: Soundin like a noob. :rolleyes:

These gaskets do not have the grove around the cylinders that requires the block to be machined to match, these have o-ring inserts around all the coolant and oil passages to prevent coolant and oil mixing as well as external leaks that pleauge these motors.

The compression rings are all very well designed and shouldn't be an issue.

Update:

Now I'm just waiting for Delta to send me the cams and everything is pretty much ready to go! I also got a new XT6 Clutch Kit For it Today so hopfully that will help put the HP to the ground a little better than the EA82 Clutch, I hear I'm going to need to machine my flywheel to XT6 Specs or get an XT6 Flywheel which is lighter but extremly hard to find I hear. I went through the entire engine bay last night and cleaned every ground wire and replaced any nasty looking wires with new wire, so the wiring is pretty much done, I just need to get some Wire Covers to make it all neat.

I'm getting excited, its allmost ready to drive! :)

:banana:

Like you need me to say it...

but that is SICK! I want to buy a remanufactured engine and do what you're doing ... over time.... since engineering school really gives me SO much free time and all ;)

man i cant wait to see that thing at WCSS! gunna be siiiiick!!!! i'll be in the red touring wagon ;) ... with a 5 speed ;) bwahahah.

get some sound files up as well!!!! love to hear it! thanks!

:banana: <---sweeeet

These gaskets do not have the grove around the cylinders that requires the block to be machined to match, these have o-ring inserts around all the coolant and oil passages to prevent coolant and oil mixing as well as external leaks that pleauge these motors.

The compression rings are all very well designed and shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers for that... Learn something every day. :)

Good luck with the build up. Should be sweet.

awww how cute! Maybe with the mods you're doing, you might want to invest in a stage 2 clutch. I got one in my RX and lemme tell you, it grabs harder then Hondasuck's '87 GL turbowagon with an XT6 clutch. I'll see about snapping some pics of it since I have it out of the car again.:banana:

Update:

The cams from delta came in today!!! I installed them and got the heads all done with the valve covers and cam towers on

All I have left to do now is plumb the turbo and I figured all that out and also found a local place that has everything I need, if everything keeps going smooth I will have it on the road by this weekend!

Stay tuned.

a98c77c4e8e0.jpg

ebaa6bb588f9.jpg

b475bf88899a.jpg

How many miles were you getting out of the gaskets, im curious to know, from the looks of that picture of your failure you had some serious detonation. Every gasket ive seen with the firering bent like that was from detonation/preignition problems, and pretty serious ones at that.

Now you've got me worried.:eek:

Not to burst your bubble... but those gaskets aren't really anything all that special.

I used those my last 3 or so times.

This first time they blew, this happened:

98IMGP1290.JPG

The Second time... it did that x4.

Good Luck.

Update:

Engine is in the car!!!!! Just got it all dropped in tonight, xt6 clutch is installed, delta 272 cams, turbo, and timing belts!

Just need to install the intake manifold and plumb the intercooler!

Can't wait to fire it up this weekend and see how she does. I'm not worried about the head gaskets anymore, I talked to several Subaru Senior Tech's today at work and showed them that pic of Tex's failure and they both agreed it wasnt the gaskets fault and was most likly caused by Pre-Ignition/Detonation from High Boost not managed properly. So I threw it together and said screw it :P We'll see what happens.

Stay tuned!

I got it running! WOOHOO!! Man its a beast and the throttle response is kick rump roast. :banana:

Here's a short clip of the first startup: :headbang:

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo10/d7/ef/c8c6d9837639.3gp?_rh=ce8s542d05in6molc35pn0xlr&foneblog=1149833142771

You can hear some valve noise, this is because Delta neglected to tell me it MIGHT need the lifters shimmed for the 272 cams, well now I gotta tear into the lifters tomarrow and fix that, but other than that it runs like a champ, I'm going to finish up some wiring and then make some nice videos of the first test drive!

:):brow:

the idle sounded good and smooth.. what difference is the delta cams? (longer/shorter duration/lift than oem)

The cams I went with have a MUCH Longer Duration and More Lift.

I'm pretty impressed with the idle quality and I even had about 20InHG Vacuum at idle! You can definitly tell its cammed if you listen for the lumpyness :headbang:

The cams I went with have a MUCH Longer Duration and More Lift.

I'm pretty impressed with the idle quality and I even had about 20InHG Vacuum at idle! You can definitly tell its cammed if you listen for the lumpyness :headbang:

I am glad I heard your engine. I had a hunch the oem cams were very conservative due to the size of the little intake with low vacuum.The only thing left would be cams hardly doing anything... Hmmmm.

Would love to see a vid of your car takeoff :brow: