Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Woohoo PARTS ARE HERE!

I am glad I heard your engine. I had a hunch the oem cams were very conservative due to the size of the little intake with low vacuum.The only thing left would be cams hardly doing anything... Hmmmm.

Would love to see a vid of your car takeoff :brow:

Dont worry I will have plenty of videos to come once I finish up the little stuff tonight, and fix the lifters.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey buddy Mad Props to your rebuild! It looks great!! I wish i could do all that in such a short period of time. The military doesnt pay me enough.

This is the Head Gasket you want for Big boost(ER27 custom copper HG)! Copper head gaskets have a tensile strength of approximately 32,000 psi, compare this to the 1,200 to 1800 psi tensile of most facing materials used on conventional performance head gaskets.

7299Copy_of_Copper_Head_Gaskets0001.jpg

This is what an O-ring is.

951%20O-Ring%20Head%203.JPG

Not to burst your bubble... but those gaskets aren't really anything all that special.

I used those my last 3 or so times.

This first time they blew, this happened:

98IMGP1290.JPG

The Second time... it did that x4.

Good Luck.

Update:

Well the last few days have been very frustrating as I have been learning about the Delta 272 cams and valve clearances and what not.

So I tried #10 flat stainless washers under all the lifters to fix the tick, and well it fixed the tick just fine, but then I had Cylinders 2 & 4 with no compression :(

Tore it back apart and tried a little thinner washer under the lifters for 2 & 4, put it all back together and fired it up, still had a miss on 2, and 4!!!!!! Better but still there!

Tore it back apart again and ditched the washers and put the lifters back in normally, fired it back up and it ticks a little, oh well at least it runs for now, So now I gotta goto a machine shop and have some CUSTOM shims made, but heres the problem, there are NO valve lifter to cam love clearance specs anywhere since the lifters are not adjustable.

So now I need to find a motor with STOCK Valvetrain and STOCK CAMS, and measure the clearances then get some custom shims made for cylinders 2 and 4, then everything will be ok.

Cylinders 1, and 3 are perfect with #10 shims, so at least thats out of the way.

Took it for a road test today and man this thing has some balls until it hits 4k then falls on its face (full rich) Its running WAY too rich so I need to tune it, but other than that im loving it so far.

Heres some pictures of the plumbing that was a total PITA to do :

Enjoy :

6715c81f762d.jpg

4503c7ebda01.jpg

flames.jpg

Little rich! :) even with a CAT :P

Steveman did you end up getting a XT6 flywheel or did you get yours machined?

Well I couldn't locate one in time so I just said screw it and bolted it all together. So far so good, works great and I love the way it grabs over the stock ea82 clutch, muuuch better :)

Well I couldn't locate one in time so I just said screw it and bolted it all together. So far so good, works great and I love the way it grabs over the stock ea82 clutch, muuuch better :)

so did you just get it machined then ? or did you actually just bolt it up to the stock EA82 Flywheel ?