Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension mod for my '94 Impreza

edrach

I'm really pleased with the '94 Impreza 4 door sedan I just bought. Planning to make it into a rallycross car and like some of the suspension mods it came with. However, the H&R springs have dropped the suspension about 2 inches and that is not good. I'd like to get it back up where it belongs. I've found a set of '02/03 struts of a WRX and wonder if they would replace what's on the car now without too much modification. Anyone done something like this?

search about it on legacycentral, it is the same chassis as your impreza and has been done lots of times.

I believe it involves putting your top hats on the wrx struts, might require a washer or 2 in between the strut bearing and the strut in front or something like that.

there are a bunch of threads on legacycentral.

Ed.... its a different chassis than the Legacy (obviously) but those WRX struts should work just fine.

I would try and put them in as is first, then if the tophats aren't right, you can always change them over from the ones you took off.

you could also try some forester struts... keep the lowering springs, and the original strut tops, ad some foerester struts, and you are now only apporx. 1/2 inch lower than stock....... that way you keep your stiffer springs, and gain some clearance...... thats what i would do anyway.....

Is it an AWD car? If just FWD, you may have issues with the rear struts as they have a different angle of installation and are a good bit longer than AWD units.

What struts are being used with the H&R springs? You may wanna put the WRX springs (or forester springs) with the other struts if they are of decent quality and adjustable. If they are old stockers....ditch em for the WRX setup and your old tophats and call it a day.

Don't forget the alignment after it's all said and done. You can eyeball it pretty close to get by a day or 3....but get it done as soon as practical.

Jay