Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bratty lil Bizzle

I dropped a sweet 20k+ rebuilt motor outta my "83 parts wagon( I wanna fix if possible, but if you want parts, better rape 'er fast! PM me! ) into the Brat I just snagged for $900 (ripoff!) but driveable, and tha bizzle runs way better, yet the same ( won't stay running when warmed up, so, it"s not engine related, but I suspect the fuel system. The fuel pump has been replaced with a Facet (looks like it'll feed a hungry BB V-8). I have the same brand OEM size in my '80 wagon, bolts right on (NAPA), works awesome. Won't stay running when warmed up tho, WTH Bizzle!! (slap slap). I'm guessing dirty fuel tank (83 dirty girl Brat of course!) Maybe someone else has better experience of controlling your bit(#?

:eek: Ya dogg. Im a witness to the outlaws problem. I told him that i thought the fuekl pump was maybe to big.. I can hear it turn on when he turn the car over..its freaking loud like its huge... but the motor he put in puurs like none other that ive heard. no tick of death. no tick at all. and as soon as we start driving ( bog bog bog dead) starter cranks ... and then nothing.. its kinda of weak cuz I want to roll around in the Brat

Just put the tank from the parts wagon in the Brat. Cleaned it out real good first though, some plastic crap was in there. I've been finding nasty stuff in my gas tanks for some reason. No more Arco. Quality fuel from now on. Now I gotta go disconnect some filters so I can blast pressurized air through the system to make sure the whole fuel system is clean before I hook everything up and fire it over.

Took her for a drive today, nice and smooth until it warmed up and crapped out again. So far, I've replaced the fuel filters, then the motor, the ignition coil, fuel pump controller, the fuel tank, took the gas cap off, poured some fresh Shell premium in, and yet the problem persists. I'm stumped. Any new ideas? Maybe some kind of thermoswitch controlled thing?

How does the car act after it stalls? Do you have to crank it over a bunch to get it to start back up, with no throttle? Or maybe give it full throttle to start it up?

I'm wondering if it's flooding or running out of fuel.

Is it a carbureted or FI motor? If it's carb, do you have the choke hooked up? Did you keep carb from old motor or new carb with new motor?

If carb is the same, is choke electric? Can you verify correct operation of the choke with it off the carb? Also, (I am not sure about the Hitachi, but...) my Weber has a little screen in the fuel inlet of the carb. Perhaps that's limiting fuel flow?

Is your coil getting severly warm?

Aaron

How does the car act after it stalls? Do you have to crank it over a bunch to get it to start back up, with no throttle? Or maybe give it full throttle to start it up?

I'm wondering if it's flooding or running out of fuel.

Is it a carbureted or FI motor? If it's carb, do you have the choke hooked up? Did you keep carb from old motor or new carb with new motor?

If carb is the same, is choke electric? Can you verify correct operation of the choke with it off the carb? Also, (I am not sure about the Hitachi, but...) my Weber has a little screen in the fuel inlet of the carb. Perhaps that's limiting fuel flow?

Is your coil getting severly warm?

Aaron

New carb with new motor, Hitachi. I put it on the old motor before I pulled it to see if any difference, nope. I'll check the choke and coil. Electric choke is hooked up.

Choke works just fine, the negative insulator boot on the coil has a brownish spot on it, might be arcing. Gonna check the wiring. Might rip all the emission junk out and replace with what came with my parts wagon. The wagon ran just fine and drove good, but I didn't warm it up, just hastily parked it(front end damage, no radiator.) Also, the wagon just passed emissions in November before it got wrecked.