Ultimate Subaru Message Board

compiling parts list for a restoration frankencar (kinda long)

Hello all, This is my first post over here. I'm a regular to the tech forums on NASIOC under the same name. I know gobs and gobs about the newer subies, but the old stuff is beyond me and I'm looking for a new project. I'm sorry if there are already 100's of threads on the questions I'm about to ask, but I need to be getting to bed soon and I want to throw these ideas out there before I get to sleep.

I have a '98 impreza that has been through 4 engines ranging from the stock 165 hp to the current 470hp. Not much is stock chassis wise either. Basically I have an entire garage full of parts in boxes and nothing to dump them into. A little voice in my head was whispering things about a brat. I think I have already sourced a clean donor vehicle, but I would like to seek the advice of those more knowledgable than I on the old stuff. With the parts I have in the garage I will be able to slap together a good running EJ engine doing about 260hp naturally aspirated.

Now for questions as to what I will need:

I know the EJ engines will drop into EA applications without TOO much difficulty. I'm a master mechanic that can weld/cut so not much scares me. However I still don't know EXACTLY what needs to be done. If there are existing threads on the topic can somebody point me in the right direction?

I would like to use the 5mt case out of a WRX I have sitting on the floor, it should hold up to the power I will be making without any complaints. I realize the CV's will be vastly different than the transmission that comes out of the car. I'm not too worried about this, which brings me to my next point.

Is it possible to use either impreza or legacy hubs/knuckles without too much headache in these cars? I have a very nice set of fixed caliper wilwood brakes and rotors that I would like to donate to this car, along with all the other advantages of the newer style hubs (larger bearings, better wheel selection, etc.)

Rear differential... Do the brats come with the standard R160 diff? Something else? Can an R160 bolt in? Will I need to fabricate a rear crossmember for this purpose?

If using the newer style knuckles is completely out of the question, does anybody make adapter kits to use impreza/legacy calipers with a 5 lug hub?

Thanks in advance.

Now for questions as to what I will need:

I know the EJ engines will drop into EA applications without TOO much difficulty. I'm a master mechanic that can weld/cut so not much scares me. However I still don't know EXACTLY what needs to be done. If there are existing threads on the topic can somebody point me in the right direction?

Motormount holes in the crossmember need to be spaced outward about 1/2" If it's SOHC, then no chassis mods necessary, If it's DOHC then the Driver's side needs about 1/2" massaging to clear the timing covers.

I would like to use the 5mt case out of a WRX I have sitting on the floor, it should hold up to the power I will be making without any complaints. I realize the CV's will be vastly different than the transmission that comes out of the car. I'm not too worried about this, which brings me to my next point.

Brat axles are shorter than new-gen axles. Also DOJ is 23 spline you need 25 for the WRX trans. Cut/weld axles or have a shop like cvaxles.com make them for you.

Is it possible to use either impreza or legacy hubs/knuckles without too much headache in these cars? I have a very nice set of fixed caliper wilwood brakes and rotors that I would like to donate to this car, along with all the other advantages of the newer style hubs (larger bearings, better wheel selection, etc.)

No easy way to do this, but it has been done...

Rear differential... Do the brats come with the standard R160 diff? Something else? Can an R160 bolt in? Will I need to fabricate a rear crossmember for this purpose?

Same diff. You may have to swap inner CV cups if you are going to a 95 or so and up rear diff.

If using the newer style knuckles is completely out of the question, does anybody make adapter kits to use impreza/legacy calipers with a 5 lug hub?

Bratgeebah, an Aussie is developing a kit for about $1000-$1500... Look on the AUSubaru.com board for that.

Thanks in advance.

Answers in bold.

There are many many many threads on this subject...

here's one that hits the nail right on the head for a lot of your issues: RGuyver's WRX Brat

Definitely do some searching and keep us updated on this project!

much easier than you think.

i did a 96 JDM EJ20G in my 88 GL10 wagon. took 2 weeks.

the engine drops right in (as long as you have a turbo X-member)

the trany bolts right up if you use the front and rear X-member peaces from an XT6 and the center peace from a WRX.

the drive shaft has to be shortened 55MM.

the rear diff bolts right up (my 4.111:1 R160 LSD)

the rear axels you have to buy adapters to mount the EJ inners to the EA axles, cost $6 each from rockford CV.

the front EJ axels bolt right up. (if you use EJ front knuckles)

i used the WRX front struts, knuckles, hubs, barrings, rotors, tie rod ends and calapers (stock 2pot).

XT6 lower control arms.

the EJ radeator fits with some triming.

the shift linkage must be shortend.

then use rear hubs, roters, calapers and backing plates from an XT6, this way you have 5X100 in the rear also.

17X7 wheels fit nicely with an offset of 40-42 and 205/40R17 tires (the spedo is even right on with 4.111:1 gears)

the wiring takes the longest. but if you have a good diagram its not a problem. just remember "do it once, do it right"

i think i got everything. but im sure i for got something. if you need to know more, post or PM...

check out my websight for more pics. sorry no write-up yet...

http://www.suberdave.com

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com