Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear coilover issue - 84 gl

hey guys, i have a couple questions. I have an 84 gl wagon with a 4 inch lift, that has the disc brake conversion, and a coilover rear suspension, with the torsion bar disconnected/broken. the problem i am having is that when i really get into a trail, or have it loaded, the tires (205/75/14) rub on the side of the coilovers. they are mounted as close to the body as possible, and are in pretty sad shape. I know that if i had a stiffer setup, the problem would be solved, any ideas of a small diameter coilover that would fit/work? Should i attempt putting a new torsion bar on instead? Thanks!:headbang:

hey guys, i have a couple questions. I have an 84 gl wagon with a 4 inch lift, that has the disc brake conversion, and a coilover rear suspension, with the torsion bar disconnected/broken. the problem i am having is that when i really get into a trail, or have it loaded, the tires (205/75/14) rub on the side of the coilovers. they are mounted as close to the body as possible, and are in pretty sad shape. I know that if i had a stiffer setup, the problem would be solved, any ideas of a small diameter coilover that would fit/work? Should i attempt putting a new torsion bar on instead? Thanks!:headbang:

where all do you have lift blocks in the rear then?

what kind of mounting bracket do you have for the coil-overs?

I did it like this on a stock brat, and didn't have any rubbing issues....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/USRM2/mick-usrm/Strutsinrear/strut.html

you may just need to get wheel with less backspacing...

i am currently using some 4 bolt pug steelies, if i had another 1/4 inch spacing everything would be fine, i agree, more offset would be better, ya think 15 inch pug alloys would give me the proper clearance, or should i investigate spacers? Ideally the rims you have would be better, but id like to work with what ive got if ya know what i mean.:headbang: