Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My G/F has a 99' Forester that I am going to do some maintenance on here shortly. She has the car with her out of town and I am trying to gather parts right now. I never checked to see if it was a SOHC OR DOHC? She has a fairly base model non-turbo that was purchased new in Illinois so I am assuming it is a 2.5L. Which would it be? :confused: Thanks!

My G/F has a 99' Forester that I am going to do some maintenance on here shortly. She has the car with her out of town and I am trying to gather parts right now. I never checked to see if it was a SOHC OR DOHC? She has a fairly base model non-turbo that was purchased new in Illinois so I am assuming it is a 2.5L. Which would it be? :confused: Thanks!

The '99 should be a SOHC 2.5l

have her send you the vin to check on the year to be sure.

it will be easy to tell just by looking at the plastic timing belt covers...

I don't have the car around guys nor is she in the position to look at the owner's manual or under the hood. Does anyone simply know the facts of that year?

99' Forester, non-turbo, A/T, very base in options. Thanks!

Well the vin is in the dash, isn't it? Shouldn't be too hard for her to find.

Even if I get the VIN, how do I decifer it in terms of SOHC or DOHC. Can't anyone else tell me their best educated guess based on the info I have provided so far?

this is a guess so don't rely on it. i don't think they changed the 2.5 until 2000, so my guess would be dohc. but i don't own a 99, mines a 97. you need to talk to a 99 owner. or call the dealer.

maybe you could go to "autozone.com" put in 99 forester and search for a timing belt part number. then search the same part for other years. there is going to be a difference between single and double. if your part number works on a 97 then it's double . not perfect but ....

Even if I get the VIN, how do I decifer it in terms of SOHC or DOHC. Can't anyone else tell me their best educated guess based on the info I have provided so far?