Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driveaxle is f***ed

Guest FlyStyle

hey all..

long time since posting, work/school etc.. anyways for a while ive been needin to get my drive axles replaces.. both the fronts.. the loud and tick tick sounds while turning seemed to be gettin worse the past month or so. either case i was lookin for a $ amount for this job to be done on the passenger and driver side... when i got my t belt changed i asked the dealer to take a look at the axles, they said they were in bad shape and were gettin worse, well they werent lieing. they offered 300 a side, 600 total for everything that needed to be done, parts and labor.. i was just wondering if this was standard $.. also if this is something that a somewhat experienced soobie owner could do.. :rolleyes: ... anyways any help and information would be greatly appreciated..

thanks in advance..

Ali

Guest SubaruJunkie

Damn... $600. Glad my cars arent new cars. A CV Axel for my car is only $55, and it takes less than an hour to replace. But my car is almost 20 years old.

-Brian

Guest tcspeer

you should be able to buy axles rebuilt for around 100.00 if you want to try it yourself get you a haynes manuel, you will also need some pin punches and I use torque wrench on axle nut when I put it back on. I found it much easy to do then I thought it would be.

Guest FlyStyle

hey guys,

thanks for the help, i am going to go look at my haynes again, as well as that site, i just dont know if i should get a new drive axle or rebuilt.. ??

Ali

Guest subyluvr2212

Definitely go with http://www.cvaxles.com . I got my two front axles from there for about $55 apiece. They're not too bad to replace, I can do one in an hour with a few delays, but that is because I've had more experience than I really wanted. I had to do my driver's twice. My rebuilt one from that website sprung a grease leak; the strap wasn't tight enough on the boot, so it slipped out. But they sent me another axle immediately without question. Excellent products and customer service!