Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PM at 185K or "if it ain't broke, don't fix

In the past month, I had some major and minor work done on my 95 Legacy such as new radiator, water pump, timing and alternator. I bought the car at 107k, so this is the only major work that has been done in 70K/2.5 years. Should I do things like look at replacing O2 sensors, coolant temp sensors, starter motor, coil packs, etc..., or should I wait for them to go bad. Some things are fairly easy and inexpensive while others are not? I only have one car and need it to get to work, so should I just wait for problems in this area to arise or would doing early maintenance help?

My personal approach to this is the "If it ain't broke..." idea. You should do the prescribed maintenance, including timing belt, other belts, and of course change all the fluids per prescribed intervals (including differentials, tranny fluid, etc.), but usually the other things that you mention don't need replacing until they go bad. That includes O2 sensors, which are kind of expensive to replace in advance. My advice - save your money and enjoy the experience of driving one of the most reliable vehicle brands on the road! :clap:

I don't accept the premise of the question ...it's overly simplistic doesn't represent reality. Most often things will wear gracefully and exhibit end of life signs - if you recognize them. Other times parts will need to be replaced soley on the basis of usage (miles). Timing belt will give you no indication that it is about to break ...it's gotta be replaced by recorded interval.

Also it depends on circumstances. If you don't have indoor work facilities and suspect a critical part will not get you through the next winter, you may want to change it this summer. Tires down on tread depth are fine for errands around town, but not advisable for long-distance highway commutes where high-speed blowouts and hydroplaning could end someone's life.

It also depends on finaces. Having extra battery capacity is a good thing during the coldest months ...but not at the expense of feeding your kids or yourself.

About 6 years ago I witnessed a car lose a front wheel on the freeway, bang into the car next to it, get flipped onto it's roof by the median divider and finally slam into the back of another "maintenance-free" vehicle which was abandoned along the freeway center divider bursting into flames. In short, I think I witnessed someone die in a sequence straight out of a movie.

I LOATH PEOPLE THAT DON'T MAINTAIN THEIR VEHICLES.

**** ******!

blitz, I totally agree with you! I hope that you didn't interpret my response to his question as advice to let maintenance items go until they become safety hazards. I truly believe in regular maintenance for all those things that wear out or break down with know frequency -- timing belts are really high on my personal list after one time years ago when I had a timing CHAIN fail on a big block Olds engine. The result wasn't a pretty sight! Regular maintenance is part of why I'm approaching the quarter million mile mark on my Outback now. It's just that I've seen people lose sleep (and spend money) over things that really aren't issues. There's no need to replace knock sensors or coolant temp sensors or the like -- unless you know they've failed. And these days, with OBD, you have a direct indication when some of those things have broken down.

blitz, I totally agree with you! I hope that you didn't interpret my response to his question as advice to let maintenance items go until they become safety hazards. I truly believe in regular maintenance for all those things that wear out or break down with know frequency -- timing belts are really high on my personal list after one time years ago when I had a timing CHAIN fail on a big block Olds engine. The result wasn't a pretty sight! Regular maintenance is part of why I'm approaching the quarter million mile mark on my Outback now. It's just that I've seen people lose sleep (and spend money) over things that really aren't issues. There's no need to replace knock sensors or coolant temp sensors or the like -- unless you know they've failed. And these days, with OBD, you have a direct indication when some of those things have broken down.
I had no problem with your post, actually I was merely groking over the original question. :burnout:...then predictably went-off on a rant.

"PM at 185K or "if it ain't broke, don't fix"

Those are the only two choices? :confused:

I need to reiterate that when I said this is the only work I did in 70K miles, I meant major work. Routine maintenance was done (oil, filters, etc...). I was just wondering, if I get bad gas mileage (not really, but as an example), would changing the O2 filter, before I get a CEL light goes on, be worth it. Some sensors are easy to get to and change, which was the point of my question, I guess.

Maintaining a high mileage vehicle involves constantly reworking the calculus of ownership expense. I know, I drove my 99 Forester to 200,000, and virtually everything, including the entire supension, entire exhaust system, altenator, wheel bearings, AT, AC, and three CV axles where all the orginals. I think I replaced the windshield wiper blades a couple of times.

But at some point something had to go. My main worry was the AT. I think the engine could have done 300,000 miles without even breaking a sweat. But that AT could have been pretty expensive to rebuild or replace. And once the AT is broken, it becomes very difficult to sell your car. So if you drive the car until the AT goes, you're left with the choice of an expensive repair to make it fully saleable, or take it on the chin trying to sell a car that isn't in driveable condition.

I decided the way to maximize the money from the car was to sell it before anything broke. I put the money into a new Forester, although I could have used the money to buy a lower mileage used Subaru.

I need dependable transportation. And the reliability curve of even a Subaru takes a major dip after 200,000 miles.

I need to reiterate that when I said this is the only work I did in 70K miles, I meant major work. Routine maintenance was done (oil, filters, etc...). I was just wondering, if I get bad gas mileage (not really, but as an example), would changing the O2 filter, before I get a CEL light goes on, be worth it. Some sensors are easy to get to and change, which was the point of my question, I guess.
Instead of spending money changing sensors, why not send the money to me?

**** ******!