Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW in deep sand?

No Stuck

Hey Guys,

Thinking about purchasing a 97-99 OBW. We have some really soft sugar sand here on the beaches, especially on the entrances. After a strut/Scorpion lift, can the OBW be counted on to pull its weight in this stuff?

Been driving on the beach for some years with conventional 4x4's, I know the terrain and tires that work best, air down, ect., but without a low gear and a LSD... I can only guess.

Also a 5 speed, I take it, would be best for the rev's. Is an automatic better because of the 60/40 split?

thanks

I'm in the process of doing a little writeup of our recent trip to Southern UT, so I have a few photos handy.

In the desert here the sand can be very fine, soft and deep. My 97 did great on this 4wd road last weekend:

cg_sand.jpg

How soft and deep is that sand (it's hard to tell from that photo)?

cg_deep.jpg

As we crested one of the hills, we saw an Xterra heading the other direction so I pulled off to the side as best I could, since he was going to have to go up the hill. As he approached us he started getting stuck. It took him several tries of killing the engine and driving a bit before he could get up the hill. So I'm not sure 5-spd is an advantage in sand (ours is the 4eat and I put it in "2" for this section).

I have the Scorpion springs and some AT tires. For the trip out we aired down to 20 psi and that made it easier than when I came into the trailhead at 35 psi. Momentum is very important too, 205 tires aren't very wide for the weight of these cars. But we still made it fine both ways, there was another first gen Outback at the trailhead too.

Steve

I think the 4eat is better for the lower gear ratio in 1st vs a 5mt in 1st gear.

Plus you have unlimited slip of the torque convertor.

I have an 03 obw w/ a 4eat/lsd combo and works great in sand! I pulled out a big suv last year "Mercury mountaineer" out of the sand at Longbeach, Wa.

I feel the power/traction to weight ratio with a Subaru is unmatched vs alot of other vehichles.

Thanks Steve,

Sand here is more sugary(slightly larger grains), but your shot of walking the dune is similar to here, ie..can be deep! Do you know of this auto vs manual decision amongst 96-99 OBW, something about a 60/40 split, or a 50/50 split, in terms of power to the front or rear wheels?

Do you think you would change your tires for something wider, more surface area.

Bill

I'm in the process of doing a little writeup of our recent trip to Southern UT, so I have a few photos handy.

In the desert here the sand can be very fine, soft and deep. My 97 did great on this 4wd road last weekend:

cg_sand.jpg

How soft and deep is that sand (it's hard to tell from that photo)?

cg_deep.jpg

As we crested one of the hills, we saw an Xterra heading the other direction so I pulled off to the side as best I could, since he was going to have to go up the hill. As he approached us he started getting stuck. It took him several tries of killing the engine and driving a bit before he could get up the hill. So I'm not sure 5-spd is an advantage in sand (ours is the 4eat and I put it in "2" for this section).

I have the Scorpion springs and some AT tires. For the trip out we aired down to 20 psi and that made it easier than when I came into the trailhead at 35 psi. Momentum is very important too, 205 tires aren't very wide for the weight of these cars. But we still made it fine both ways, there was another first gen Outback at the trailhead too.

Steve

MMM so maybe I should be looking into a 2000 plus OBW, I believe that's when they started up with the LSD again...good to know, and the unlimited slip of the torque c...is that a crucial element in performance in soft sand?

I take it the scorps lift can be had on your 03 as well?

Bill

I think the 4eat is better for the lower gear ratio in 1st vs a 5mt in 1st gear.

Plus you have unlimited slip of the torque convertor.

I have an 03 obw w/ a 4eat/lsd combo and works great in sand! I pulled out a big suv last year "Mercury mountaineer" out of the sand at Longbeach, Wa.

I feel the power/traction to weight ratio with a Subaru is unmatched vs alot of other vehichles.

MMM so maybe I should be looking into a 2000 plus OBW, I believe that's when they started up with the LSD again...good to know, and the unlimited slip of the torque c...is that a crucial element in performance in soft sand?

I take it the scorps lift can be had on your 03 as well?

Bill

I'm lifted via kingsprings and yes I have a trans cooler and run synthetic atf as well.

The split in a 4eat is 90/10 in D or 3rd. In 1st and 2nd it's 50/50. 2nd is great because as mentioned previously you have the torque converter working (slipping) for you to NOT break traction and you have the 50/50 distribution. I used 2nd in my 4eat to start up icy hills in the winter where I went to school.

-Aaron

Glenn:

Yeah, it does look similar, but this is on Fortymile Ridge Road off the Hole in the Rock Road southeast of Escalante. We backpacked in Coyote Gulch if you're familiar with that.

cg_above.jpg

Not the ends of the earth but it feels like you can see it from there! I'm putting together some photos of the trip but that'll be it's own post, don't wanna hijack.

To answer No Stuck's question earlier which I overlooked, I wouldn't want much wider tires because 1) there's not much room for them and 2) the car spends far more time in snow and slush than in sand. I have Firestone Destination A/T's and am pretty pleased with how they've done so far, they're a compromise because the car is driven around town mostly, but takes us in everything from snow to gravel and sand when we can get away from the city. So they're fine for the 99% and worked well enough in this case... airing them down did help.

Another related topic, in your similar post in the general forum the subject of airing down the tires came up. To air them back up I can highly recommend a Masterflow MF-1050 compressor... used it on this trip for the first time and I must say it kicks butt over the puny cigarette lighter powered 12v compressors I've tried in the past. Sooooo much better. So that's my $.02 on that topic.

Steve

No stuck here, have not found my sube yet, not alot to choose from on the island, unless you get one from the dealership. worries me a little when the dealer offers no prior paper work (work that has been done, ie; hg's, timing belt ect.) At least with a private sale, there's a chance of seeing some proof of work......

I'm still 4eat bound, so let me know how your trip to the beach goes.

wow thats beautiful. makes me want to take a very long road trip.

i think 4eat would be the better tranny for sand. i'll have the 5MT answer part next week-ish when i finally take my car to the beach