Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nipper...Let me get you a coffee.

Mornin, out here on the east end..I posted earlier, maybe you could lend me your advice. thanks

Thinking about purchasing a 97-99 OBW. We have some really soft sugar sand here on the beaches, especially on the entrances. After a strut/Scorpion lift, can the OBW be counted on to pull its weight in this stuff?

Been driving on the beach for some years with conventional 4x4's, I know the terrain and tires that work best, air down, ect., but without a low gear and a LSD... I can only guess.

Also a 5 speed, I take it, would be best for the rev's. Is an automatic better because of the 60/40 split?

if you buy one of those, be certain the previous owner has had headgasket problems and got them fixed. i can't say it enough, because it really bites when that happens. you should shoot for a 96 5mt (2.2L trusty motor in there) and transfer the hood if you really want a scoope. i'll let you know about the beach wheeling the outback can do when i get out there in a few weeks....

True, true. I've been reading this great forum on Subes for a month now, and the gasket prob/repair is a pre rec for me buying one.

Thanks

if you buy one of those, be certain the previous owner has had headgasket problems and got them fixed. i can't say it enough, because it really bites when that happens. you should shoot for a 96 5mt (2.2L trusty motor in there) and transfer the hood if you really want a scoope. i'll let you know about the beach wheeling the outback can do when i get out there in a few weeks....

Mornin, out here on the east end..I posted earlier, maybe you could lend me your advice. thanks

Thinking about purchasing a 97-99 OBW. We have some really soft sugar sand here on the beaches, especially on the entrances. After a strut/Scorpion lift, can the OBW be counted on to pull its weight in this stuff?

Been driving on the beach for some years with conventional 4x4's, I know the terrain and tires that work best, air down, ect., but without a low gear and a LSD... I can only guess.

Also a 5 speed, I take it, would be best for the rev's. Is an automatic better because of the 60/40 split?

i've gone upscale, i want a capacino.

The OBW can pull its stuff, just drop the air pressure and have an on board air compressor (just like any beach comber).

5 speed is a 50/50 split. Automatic is a 10/90 varing to 50/50. i'm geting to be a bigger fan of automtics on beach vehicals. If you get stuck its hard to modulate the clutch/throttle when you dont have a grany gear.

Also you can simulate lsd on front and rear by gently applying the brake pedal, you can get torque to all 4 wheels (basically waht the new computerized systems do).

As far as the head gasket, in a 8 year old car or older thats always a chance on any car. But i have been seeing less and less HG issues as they are getting repaired.

i like nutmeg and cinamon in that capaccino :)

nipper

tripple shot for you.

Can I pick your brain about that modulation. the 5 speed has more of a tendancy to clutch slip than the auto, when you don't have a granny?

the new computers..would that be on the 2000 and up models?

I like the idea of simulating the lsd, but is a newer model with a factory lsd worth the extra mile? I hate to add on the extra 300 lbs of a 2000 plus year model.

thanks

your java bartender Bill

i've gone upscale, i want a capacino.

The OBW can pull its stuff, just drop the air pressure and have an on board air compressor (just like any beach comber).

5 speed is a 50/50 split. Automatic is a 10/90 varing to 50/50. i'm geting to be a bigger fan of automtics on beach vehicals. If you get stuck its hard to modulate the clutch/throttle when you dont have a grany gear.

Also you can simulate lsd on front and rear by gently applying the brake pedal, you can get torque to all 4 wheels (basically waht the new computerized systems do).

As far as the head gasket, in a 8 year old car or older thats always a chance on any car. But i have been seeing less and less HG issues as they are getting repaired.

i like nutmeg and cinamon in that capaccino :)

nipper

tripple shot for you.

Can I pick your brain about that modulation. the 5 speed has more of a tendancy to clutch slip than the auto, when you don't have a granny?

the new computers..would that be on the 2000 and up models?

I like the idea of simulating the lsd, but is a newer model with a factory lsd worth the extra mile? I hate to add on the extra 300 lbs of a 2000 plus year model.

thanks

your java bartender Bill

the LSD on a subaru is not worth the money. Its not mechanical its viscous. There is a delay before it kicks in and by then your buried in sand. Its ok for snow and rain. Also its just on the rear wheels so you can still get stuck. ever try to hold a manual at 3mph? its hard and not good at all for the clutch. An automatic not only can do that, but will also multiply the torque at that low a speed.

the 5 speed you need to slip the clutch to engage it. The only way to get any rpm less then idle is to slip it, and by force of habit your going to apply more gas then you need to engage it. Automatic you can vary wheel speed real easily with your right foot.

Simulating lsd is an old trick thats been around since before LSD was invented. Dune buggies did by having individual hand brakes.

The new computer systems were with any 6 cylinder model, and i thnk now is available across the board.

nipper

Thanks Nipper, I'll be looking into autos now, much obliged to your sat. morn chat and expertise ...Subes are new to me, but the beach aint!

Gracias, cafe con leche

Bill

the LSD on a subaru is not worth the money. Its not mechanical its viscous. There is a delay before it kicks in and by then your buried in sand. Its ok for snow and rain. Also its just on the rear wheels so you can still get stuck. ever try to hold a manual at 3mph? its hard and not good at all for the clutch. An automatic not only can do that, but will also multiply the torque at that low a speed.

the 5 speed you need to slip the clutch to engage it. The only way to get any rpm less then idle is to slip it, and by force of habit your going to apply more gas then you need to engage it. Automatic you can vary wheel speed real easily with your right foot.

Simulating lsd is an old trick thats been around since before LSD was invented. Dune buggies did by having individual hand brakes.

The new computer systems were with any 6 cylinder model, and i thnk now is available across the board.

nipper