Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Deciding factors of a new car purchase

So, my parents are looking at getting a new second car in addition to their '01 OBW. Of recent, the car [~100K miles] has been having a couple of minor electrical mishaps and a head gasket replacement.

This OBW has made my parents a little wary of getting another subaru although they like the gas mileage and the AWD. As I understand it the 2.5L that in the '01 is known to have headgasket issues. Is this a problem that has since been worked out? Are there any current engines to watch out for?

Subaru supposedly resolved the head gasket issue on the 2.5L engine in 2002. The newer cars don't have enough mileage on them really to know if this truly is the case.

The engines were revamped in 2005 with some variable valve lift/timing features. I'm not really up on how extensive the changes were. That is, whether anything was done to the block or heads in the head gasket area. Again, these are just too new to know if there are any undue issues.

The H6 engine came out (with limited application) in 2001. It is just in the past 6 months to a year that we are starting to hear of some timing chain / tensioner issues.

The problem with asking whether a problem is resolved on newer engines (cars for that matter) is that there simply isn't enough history to know. And one can never rule out that a new problem hasn't crept in. One that won't show it's head for several years to come.

Commuter

at 100,000 miles cars do get minor issues, its thier right and nothing lats for ever. Parts do wear out. Subarus tend to like one heavy maintanece every 100,000 miles and are happy little campers till the next one (normally).

HG issues can be had with any used car.

The tensioner issue has been coming up more and more, but so far its all been under warrenty, though i would hate to see someone get hat repair bill, as there are over 100 bolts involved in that repair (and i thought i was anal).

The variable timing has been around a long time from an engineering point of veiw but fairly new to sooby, and i dont know how they are making it work.

Given the choice, i prefer the late 90's outbacks. i like the lines better, i know tyhose engines run for ever (even if it does blow a headgasket) and i dont need the high insurance bill AND car payments. Though i still like the lines of the imprezza.:clap:

nipper