Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air suspension gone splat!

Looks like Murphy the $500 87 T-Wag is getting a suspension make-over tomorrow. I started the car yesterday afternoon to make a run for some dog food. As has been the case since I bought the car last year, I started out waiting for the front shocks to inflate. I started driving down the road even though the suspension wasn't fully filled. About a half mile down the road the Hight Control light started to flash, and now the system doesn't work. When you start the car the compressor starts for a second, then stops and the HC light start flashes. Though I like the ride gained by the air suspension, I have decided to swap it out in favor of the strut system. I went to the JY today and found a few Subies, but they were either 2WD or high mileage, which means that those struts have seen a ton of wear. I decided that new parts for the suspension would be the best option as I plan on keeping the car for a long time, and want the best handling I can get. I ordered front and back Monroe Sensitrack struts from Auto Parts Distributor, one of my favorite parts shops here in Fresno, and they will be in tomorrow. The cost will be about $240 ish.

While at the JY I found an RX with a 5 speed Full Time 4wd with Hi / Low option. As many of you know, I plan on swapping my icky 3 spd, push-button 4wd A/T with a 5 spd. Is this tranny in the RX a good and reliable type, or should I just stick with the normal 5 speed hi lo?

Update: I got the front springs off the afformentioned RX, and the back springs from an 89 GL wagon. I hit the J-Yard on Monday and after much struggle, got one spring from the RX, but didn't have time to finnish getting the other one out 'cause the Yard was closing. I had read on a USMB post that it's very easy. It would have been too - if I had bothered to bring a spring compresser and a breaker bar. Yesterday I rented a compresser and got the other springs. What I didn't realise, though, is that the new struts didn't come with the plastic boot / bumper assy. that covers the strut shaft, so, before work, I'm of to the Yard yet again to retrieve the ones I tossed aside.

Murph is done and back on the road. The ride is different, but it's hard to explain how. It corners better with the RX springs in front. I may yet swap the back with the 88 ish Accord springs. I never realized how often the air compressor would have to run to keep the car afloat. I very much notice its absence. Later this month I am going to have a clearing house of my accumulated subie parts: a dead EA82-T, a dead 3 speed auto tranny, and the air shocks I just removed. I will let you all know when I am ready to sell, or swap for a good 5 spd hi / lo tranny and diff.