Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have asked around and if what I hear is correct, all Leg's are wired the same (within the same year anyways). Does this mean that all I need to install options on mine is the components? The wires are there and just need plugged in? Primarilly, I'm talking the cruise control, tachometer, and foglights. If that is the case then Subaru is years ahead of the game. I found some empty wire connectors in areas that would hook up under the hood, but are they all there? If I punch out the right slot in the dash will there be a connector there waiting for a switch? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Actually that started in the 80's and all car makers do that now. Its cheaper to make one wiring harness for all cars then individual harnesses for equipment levels. you may need some sub harnesses but all the major stuff is there.

nipper

Alright, so I know nothing of cruise control. I have been wondering this same thing though. I went to the junkyard, got the level for the steering wheel and there's totally a place for the button I got from the junkyard too and I put that in and it lights up but my steering wheel I noticed is different so I can't put in the lever.

What I was wondering is, what else do I need for cruise control? Do I just need to install the lever in the steering wheel? Because if that's it, I'll just got get the piece from the steering wheel and finish the job. I have a feeling there's more to it though.

My Car - 90 Legacy Wagon L 4EAT

Donor - 90 Legacy Sedan

Both full time 4WD I believe

Ok, so going by the Haynes wiring diagram for cruise; I need the cruise pump, cr. control unit, stop/brake switch, cruise main switch, cruise sub switch, and a couple fuses. Does anyone know where these things are in the car? I know the sub switch, main switch, and I think the pump is the underhood unit. I wouldlike to pull these next weekend and install them the one after. I'll take pics if I can get this sorted out. I got free reign to pull any cruise part for $25 at a local yard. So long as the wiring is there it seems like a snap. I can see the one for the pump under the hood hanging so maybe the rest are there too. If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it before I tear into my work car.

Also, I get to pull the cluster w/tach (another $20). Is there a pigtail connector in the rear that may have the wire from the ECM in it? If so, tell me and I'll sacrofice another Sunday to take pics of that too. (or do both at once)

• 2 months later...
Installedall the parts from a 96 legacy wagon. It doesn't work. All the harnesses matched up and everything fit right in. I'm continuing to troubleshoot, but any help would be appreciated.

Genuine CC kit costed me smth like $50 and it came with almost perfect instructions.

Installation, as far as I remember included: install of vacuum pump near AC drier, install of actuator on the firewall and routing vacuum hose from pump. Install of CC cable along the throttle cable. That was it under the hood. Under dash I had to change brake pedal switch, clutch pedal switch, instal control unit, install main switch in the dash, and put CC switch on the steering wheel. Did you install all of that? And before installing electrics from the junkyard car it makes sense to test it somehow.

These parts ended up free. I couldn't turn that down. So far I've scored a luggage rack, hood scoop, instrument panel, and a few other odds and ends for my wife's gr am. I keep a good relation with the guy and barely ever have a problem with his parts. If I find what is wrong I simply need to exchange it. I bet it is my install. I'll recheck it tomorrow.

I have a brighton, automatic, AWD. I connected all that you listed save for the clutch switch. I got the switch to light up when on but nothing beyond that.

For what it's worth, the wiring harnesses are not the same. There are differences between AT & MT, and FWD & AWD.
Yeah, and doing a CC upgrade is a job not for the lighthearted. It's not just all plug and go - you gotta do some serious wiring. It's not like the put the CC module in there and just didn't put in the switch.

Tach is in works great. It was really simple. New stereo in same deal. The cruise is in, but I can't figure out why it doesn't work. It's probably a simple thing, and really getting to me! Could some post some pics of their setup? Maybe I missed something obvious. I have a 96 Legacy Brighton Wagon.