Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy struts into 98 Outback?

Hello all,

I just purchased a new to me 98 Legacy Outback wagon to replace my 95 Legacy wagon. The 98 needs new struts, and the 95 has new struts. Can I swap the lower 95 struts into the 98? I'd actually like the 98 to be a little lower, but I'm not sure about clearance issues, wheel rub, bottoming out the struts, weight difference, etc.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Also what's the deal with the dancing bannana? :banana:

Thanks,

David

Don't know about the struts, but I done took care of that "dancing bannana" for you.:dead:

I 'spose you could check the strut part numbers against each other at a dealership, but on the other hand (this is just me thinking here) since you are replacing the 95 with the 98, use the fact that you have new struts on the 95 as a selling point, then go ahead and purchase new struts for your 98. No labor swapping them out, and you only have to have one car aligned after it is done.

On second thought, if your 95 has the 2.2 engine that runs well, and the struts just happen to interchange, keep the 95 under a tarp in your backyard.......you just might need the engine for your 98.

Unfortunately, the 95 is dead. Everything is wrong with it: driver-side window motor broken, ac dead, gas tank leaks, needs a rear bearing, catalytic converter dead, burns oil, hydraulic lifters toast, abs dead, electric locks dead, rust holes all over, and the speakers are toast. We were thinking of giving it to charity, but I wouldn't wish this car on anyone... However, I put new struts in it 10,000 miles ago and I'd love to put them in the new car which is riding a bit soft.

YetiDon, you think that I can swap both springs and struts without problem? I am concerned about tire clearance and bottoming out the struts. (Or bottoming out anything else). I was guessing it would be about an inch shorter. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks for the dead bananna.

Cheers,

David

YetiDon, you think that I can swap both springs and struts without problem? I am concerned about tire clearance and bottoming out the struts. (Or bottoming out anything else). I was guessing it would be about an inch shorter. Any insight is appreciated.

Far as I know, the chassis are the same for both vehicles. You can take your entire assembly (strut, sping, tophat) and swap it into your Outback. Tire size should be the same for both, so I don't see any issues with rubbing, etc... You will just be riding a bit lower.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong:) .

Tire size is actually not the same. The 95 has 195/60 15's which have a radius of 12.1" from the hub and the 98 has 205/70 15's which have a radius of 13.1" from the hub. I'll need 1" additional clearance between the tire and the spring perch. Do you think there's enough room?

I am thinking the other way around. I am planning to raise MY 95 Legacy using a 97 Legacy outback@ junk yard. From my research, you will need lower profile tires to fit in your lowed ride using 95 struts. And since its AWD, better to buy all tires at same brand, same time and same size. How is your OBW's tire condition? If they are decent, just bite replace the struts and save all the trouble. Just my 2 cents.

BTW, how much do you want if you decide to sell the 95 legacy?

Good luck

front or rear or all 4? try swapping the tires onto the 95 to se if they clear. then you'll know. my guess is you'll need smaller tires.

Tire size is actually not the same. The 95 has 195/60 15's which have a radius of 12.1" from the hub and the 98 has 205/70 15's which have a radius of 13.1" from the hub. I'll need 1" additional clearance between the tire and the spring perch. Do you think there's enough room?

The front tires will fit, but the rears will NOT. The spring seat is about an 1" lower on the Legacy compared to the Outback Struts.

I tried it and found out the hard way!

A fellow on the Denver Craigslist has a set of Outback Struts he wants $100 for. Later, Larry